Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:02:53 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires on alloy wheels, Suspension - Need some help
Comments: cc: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

> I had put on new KYB gas shocks and they are just way to > stiff so I was going to purchase the KONI Red adjustable > units. I am basically looking for a nice cushy ride on the > highway with good dampening for gravel roads in upstate NY. > Hopefully it will be not have a lot of back and forth bounce. > I wanted to hear your thoughts on these shocks and whether > they are worth the cash?

The KYB's are about the hardest riding shocks you can put on your Vanagon, among the name brands. The Koni's are great because you can adjust them to taste. If you want to save some money, the Boges are a noticably softer shock than the KYB's and may suit your needs (but are not adjustable like the Koni's). We sell all of the these shocks.

> The other thing is tires. I am looking for a good all year > tire that is not too noisy and be good in the rain, light > snow and highway. > I was originally thinking of getting the 185 or 195/70/14 > Hankook's from Bus Depot. But I did not like that fact that > the original tires that came with that vehicle were the 205's > and are wider, hence I would like a nice wide and tall tire > on the van

If you are concerned about rain and light snow traction, you want a narrower, not a wider tire. A wider tire (all things being equal) will have slightly better dry-road traction, but at the expense of rain and snow traction. You need to consider under which circumstances you are more concerned about maximizing handling - on clear dry roads, or under adverse road conditions such as rain or light snow. Personally, it's under adverse weather conditions that I'm most worried about handling; my Vanagon handles quite predictably on dry roads.

185R14 and 205/70R14 are both stock sizes for the Vanagon, and both are the same height; only the width differs. Vanagons that came with alloy wheels came with the 205's but can also accept the 185's (which were stock on steel-wheeled Vanagons), so you can use either. Of course the Hankook 185's will be your cheapest high-quality all-season option, and much cheaper than a 205 series tire. The Hankook 195's will be slightly taller than either the 185's and 205's, and also slightly wider than the 185's (but not quite as wide as 205's). However, if you have a MV with a poptop, increased height can be a disadvantage when trying to fit into low-clearance home or parking garages.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT