Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2007 03:31:47 -0500
From:         joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: New Microwave oven

----- Original Message ----- >Just found this little microwave for car use! runs on 12vt or 110 >volts. I was wondering >if anybody has checked it out ???? >Looks like a nice step in the vanagon camping direction. >www.thewavebox.com >If anybody can post the amp draw, etc please follow.

i went to the www.cabelas.com and put 'wavebox' in the search keyword and found this:

$200. for the unit, cabela's price 660 watts cooking power (which seems a bit strange to me. 660 watts = 12volts x 55 amps, right? or are microwaves different from light bulbs? or my math is wrong?) requires cig lighters that are rated at a minimum of 12 amps. (which MIGHT be ok, the vanagon cig lighter is fused at 15amps. but that assumes that you are NOT using the radio and other stuff at the same time. it also ASSUMES that the cig lighter can take the whole 15 amps ... which i do not know for sure).

however, on the downloadable .pdf, it sez that it works better on ac outlets or the direct-to-battery hookup. cooking times via cig lighter connections are two to three times longer than direct-to-battery or ac. coffee (cup?) is 1 min on ac or d-t-b, but 2.5 min on cig lighter. pizza (small enough to fit) is 1 min and 1 min, but 2 min on cig lighter. meat is 45 sec, 45 sec, and 1.5 min on cig lighter. so i guess it means we'd better hook it up to the battery directly ... but that means no fuse. or is the wavebox itself fused?

size is 15"W x 10"L x 11"H

on the www.thewavebox.com site, there seem to be different colors available, but www.cabelas.com makes no mention/choice of this. and the www.fleetfarm.com site is useless ...all i could find there was "all the brands are sold in our local stores. check for location".

so i'm kinda sorta somewhat semi-interested. but i'll wait til i see one in person at some local truckstop or woods-and-water (similar to cabela's) or wal-mart. :)

unca joel