Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:15:43 -0700
From:         Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tire Question ... thanks

>Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:39:42 -0700 >From: mad madeline <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM> >Subject: Tire Question ... thanks > >Thanks to all of you who gave your thoughts and ideas on the tire question I posted. As a result , I have made an appointment to have an alignment and any necessary front end work that needs to be done. > > I've also investigating the purchase of 15 inch wheels to partially end the future tire hunt issue, and to gain more stability. I've not completely decided which rim to purchase... and I'm also checking to see if the local salvage yard has a set (unlikely but worth a try). I know we'll have to modify the clamshell to fit a larger spare. The local yard thinks they have a set they took off a carat, but they're not clear yet... waiting for a call back to see exactly what they have. Would have to make sure they are original fit and not using spacers etc. And that they are not bent. But it is always possible to luck out! Madeline > > Madeline,

If you're considering upgrading to 15" wheels and doing front end work, here's what I recently did on my '86 Westy:

Wheels- 15" Eurolook wheels from Van-Cafe for $129 each; http://www.volkscafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=1780945981&pct=1456550857&ct=1253207507

Spare Tire Carrier - Oversized tire carrier to replace the clamshell, from Van-Cafe for $90; http://www.volkscafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=2086590672&pct=1456550857&ct=1435197293

Tires - Michelin Destiny (basically a rebadged Harmony) 215/70-15, Load Index 97T from Discount Tire for $120 each (80,000 mile warranty).

With the stock suspension, these tires are too tall, and with an old, tired, suspension the 205/70's are real tight, and are only a 95 load index. I had Peter at Van-Cafe (Folks Cafe is the brick & mortar store name) rebuild the front end and put in the high lift springs when we went through there last fall. The springs are $390 (http://www.volkscafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=859919852&pct=1456550857&ct=1435197293) for the set. Total cost was not cheap, but it now handles like a dream and is quiet as a mouse (well, other than wind noise of course). I'd have done this years ago if I'd known how much more pleasant and comfortable it would be to drive. Previously on this van, I've run two other types of tires, neither of which compares in any way at all with the current setup; the Yokohama Y356's - poor traction and low tread life - and Big-O 27x8.5x14 Pathmax LT tires - good traction, irregular wear pattern, **LOUD** (dumped them with 30% treadlife remaining 'cause of noise and poor tracking, and failure to stay balanced - horrible tire!).

Now, I also have the Tiico conversion with a bit more power than the WBX'er, so I can't say how the taller tire (26.6" overall) would affect your power curve, but it's not noticeable on my van. Good luck!

Keith Hughes '86 Westy Tiico (Marvin)