Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:37:18 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: contemplating engine upgrade
Comments: To: Troy Delnicki <colorworks@GCI.NET>

Contemplating? why? problem with your engine?

Let's say that going Subi (or other good conversion) is one thing to "not Worry" for a wile, engine!

Westy are money pit for most of us, an almost perfect westy will cost more than 20k, anything under is not perfect, and if you think it is, your wrong big time, it's a bomb ready to explode.

I always tell people that they will end up putting 20+K, they pay 10 for the van, they will end up putting 10 on the van, at least. They pay 15, they put 5 easily. Now when they reach 23K, they get tired and they sell it for 17, now the next owner put 5 on that 17 and so on....

Anything can be fix with money, if your not to... esthetic, put a Subi, fix the front end and go travel in peace.

I have decided yesterday that i'm not driving a VW powered westy no more. I'm done with low power and unreliability. As much as i can built good engine, there is still to much risk (especially for those who go on long roadttrip like i do). Rods (even rebush) are still 20yo, crank, case... Yesterday i had to throw 2 cases in the garbage because they were to warped, one was so bad at the trany mating junction because of rust (auto trany side) that we could do nothing about it. Yesterday i bought the last availble 1.9L pistons kit from my supplier that told me that the may become NLA soon, I will know for sure next week.

This morning i was talking to a customer/friend in the shop wile drinking a cofee and he was telling me about his 84 Westy life that he bought new in 84 (sold it once and bought it back 3 years ago), when new, and in a 60k miles period he had to go through 3 set of heads and heads gasket, after 90kmiles he sold the westy to a friend, they had to go through 2 engine rebuilt... so this morning i was looking at the heads gasket leaking again, the van as now about 140k mile. Anyway, many had better luck but what is the % of those... who knows. The conclusion is simply that they are getting old, as much i we can save and rebuilt the van itself (body, steering, suspension), the power plant (including the FI and cooling system)is getting obsolete.

I love the Vanagon Camper, it's an outstanding little camper and most shell/body are still very solid and salvagable and that for many year to come, so with a nice rebuilt trany and a new modern and reliable powerplant it can be a superb van for many years to come. I AM NOT SAYING that a nice rebuilt wasser is NOT ok, for most people it's more than fine. I would trust and drive a B.Bob engine anywhere.

So, that said, the choice for me was Subi or ZTEC (sorry, i'm NOT going back to VW), even if i now don't need anyone to built a Subi conversion, or even any conversion (believe me, if i had the time i would do something crasy... but i don't) i have decided to go with one one those company, they did the testing for us, and that is a VERY big +... Hans is a friend, a good one so i had kind of no choice (he he) to go with him and to give him my full support (for this van at least...), but i had NO doubt on the very nice ZTEC convertion and i was very tempted at thise one.

The conclusion, i'm going 2.5L with a rebuilt AA Transaxle high gear tranny. 167hp is way more than needed for me, but will be nice in the steep hills of Mexico/USA next year. Not keeping a VW engine is not so much a "business wise" choice for me, much of my customers may say that i'm kind (in a way) of a traitor and i should drive one of my engine... But there is no way for me to do my dream next year with an almost stock VW engine... pulling my Suzuki SV1000S in the back in the bad Mexico hills. I try to be open minded about all that!

Cheers, Ben http://www.benplace.com/