Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:41:07 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Tires on alloy wheels, Suspension - Need some help

ate: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 19:25:43 -0400 From: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM> Subject: Re: Tires on alloy wheels, Suspension - Need some help

Hello Everyone, Been a while since I posted anything,

I am in need of some assistance. I am about to purchase new tires and suspension for my 88 Automatic Wolfsburg.

I had put on new KYB gas shocks and they are just way to stiff so I was going to purchase the KONI Red adjustable units. I am basically looking for a nice cushy ride on the highway with good dampening for gravel roads in upstate NY. Hopefully it will be not have a lot of back and forth bounce. I wanted to hear your thoughts on these shocks and whether they are worth the cash?

Hi Robert,

The Koni adjustable shocks are probably the nicest shock you can put on your van. Far less harsh than the KYB, less harsh (IMO) than the Bilstein and I reckon they out perform all other shocks available for the T3 with the exception of the Bilstein with whom they are about on par.

The ability to adjust the amount of rebound you desire to fine tune them for personal preference is a nice thing and you will never need to purchase shocks for your van again. If in the unlikely event you ever have problems with one, they are completely re-buildable.

Go the Konis, get a good comfortable ride with bodyroll a thing of the past. The van will handle like it's on rails...if you have appropriate tyres...

Now, regarding tyre choices....I'm not gonna touch that one with a 10' pole...;-)

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover 109 Series 3 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army) '07 Passat Variant TDI (on order from the Fatherland...delivery sometime in June)