Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:05:26 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Intermintant No Start
Comments: To: Kevin Carrubba <kcarrubba@GMAIL.COM>

Welcome back, Kevin.

I've heard that a number of folks (those who have converted to Subaru) ended up going back to Bosch starters after trying the gear reduction ones. But ... lets look at other possibilities first.

I once had an intermittent starter problem that was completely cured by super cleaning all mating surfaces of everything electrical involved.

You might want to replace the female spade on the wire that runs from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid and make sure the male on the solenoid is squeaky clean.

Remove and clean the mating surfaces for the ground strap between the transmission and the body.

Remove and clean the mating surfaces of the wire from the battery to the starter.

A good idea is to add another ground strap from the starter mount to the frame.

On my '85 Westy, I have added a remote starter button in the engine bay. Electrically, it's the same as a WR-1 hot start relay but, of course, it's manually operated. I put it there so I could more easily do routine maintenance tasks like compression tests (don't have to disable the spark if I don't turn on the ignition) and fuel injector tests and the like. It also serves to eliminate the ignition switch and the wire run from forward should I have a "No turning" starter situation. Should you ever decide to install one of these ... PLEASE ... make sure the van is not in gear before hitting the button.

Do let us know what fixes the problem.

Mike '84 GL 7 pass '84 GL Westy '85 GL Westy

Kevin Carrubba wrote: > Hi Folks, > Back on the list after a couple year break. Anyway I'm having a strange > no start issue on my 87 westy with a 1990 subie 2.2. I think the > problem is vw and not the subie but I'm stumped so thought someone here > might have an idea. It started off a couple months ago like the starter > was going so I replaced it with one of the gowesty gear reduction > starters as I have already put a couple starters in this van. Then a > couple weeks later it would not start - I could here the fuel pump > engage but no starter so I replaced the ignition switch as I know that > is a common item and it was fairly inexpensive. Now today I was out > running around and after it had been shut off for a couple hours it > would not start. So I hop out check the engine ground and battery > cables all looked fine, so I just fiddled with the key for a while on > off type of thing and then boom it starts right up and now is fine > again. Anyone have any ideas? > > Thanks > Kevin > 87 Westy > EJ22 >