Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:33:51 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tire Choice Question

I'm satisfied with these: KUHMO IZEN STUD KW 11 Snow radial. 1532lbs at 44 psi. 95Q. The size is 205/75 R14, this is an slightly taller than the 70. So this a slight trade off in sidewall stiffness, but my speedo is exactly on.. Quiet, excellent in rain, mud snow and dry pavement. Pd $79 Canadian, think list is $120. At OK Tires. My 91 Carat van sticker says weight 3400 lbs empty plus my load of 1900 is 5300 Total. 1532lbs x 4 is 6128 lbs less the 10% I've heard of derating Passenger tires on a "truck" leaves me at 5515 lbs or a margin of 215 lbs. I keep my van as empty as possible If I had a need to routinely carry more weight I'd have to re think this. Last tidbit is the sidewall on these clearly state 1 ply polyester, Tread is 2 steel one polyester. My seat of the pants feel is a slight noticeable tire sidewall flex over my previous 70 series tires. The CARAT sits lower so that may be better for these tires and not so good for a syncro westy.

No I didn't stud them. Yes I know they MAY not last as long. My impression is they will last acceptable. I only do two tires at a time. So I've had the rears on for about 5000 - 8000 miles, and the fronts are new-- ok I'll go measure the tread difference. New Fronts are .032 and the 5000 rears are at .027. The tread wear bars I think I measure at .023, so only that much is usable on the rears and .028 on the fronts. I never go to the tread wear bars though,

So thats my slice of the tire issue The intangibles: My drive is basically Vancouver Island from Victoria to Nanaimo. Pavement is smooth, one "mountain" type road of 20 miles is included in the figures since I drive to Victoria regularly AKA the Malahat. this is my main reason for the snow tire approach. Speeds are 90 kph

Mark Keller 91 Carat