Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:46:15 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Expensive Syncro Westie
Comments: To: zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET

Most folks head towards a VW of any type for the percieved or hopeful low cost of operation. There is nothing low cost about $80K. Sure, the Syncro Westy is a very capable vehicle but somehow, except for bragging rights and pride of ownership what are you really getting? I can think of a lot of RV options for that type of money and from experience compactness only goes so far for extended traveling and living. As for being able to go anywhere, are you really going to spend that much money and then trash it it the woods? Go any where in the snow and then watch it rust? And if something should happen, will the insurance man replace it? I know about committing to spending lots of money on vehicles. My current RV has a tax deductible mortgage. There are lot of truly comfortable, well equipped RVs available for that type of money and they can be financed so you can even keep most of the money to earn interest and just make payments. Sure it does cost lot of money to repair, rebuild, upgrade and accessorize a vehicle. That and obsolescence is why new vehicles depreciate. As they get consumed, they loose value and at some point it is more economical to replace. For the most part, only do it yourselfers win driving older vehicles. For the rest, the economics is buying after the initial depreciation and selling before the first round of major mechanical maintenance.

Obviously just rambling here but as much as I like the Syncro's, (I have two), I don't think I could justify that cost, at least not all at once.

Dennis