Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:46:53 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Expensive Syncro for sale
Comments: To: Zoltan Kuthy <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Zoltan, it's your money, and you have all the right to spend it like you feel, Syncro or Westy lover's will be there for a long time, no one as the right to judge anyone here, we just give opinions, and i will!!!!

What is expensive? tell me how much? for one it is and not for another one it is not, if you have the money and love Westy/Syndro, that's good for you.

So my question is when will you consider that your have put enough in it? did you put the right stuff in? will it ever end? will you drive it hard? far?

It's quite easy to guaranty a heads gasket job for one year, believe me! most people won't do more than 10k in a year, no problem there, let's wait and see after 25k. If you have new heads with german valves you may go farther. But what about the water jacket side, who'm most of the time it's as pitted as the heads?????? tell me about that friend!

EX: one guy came in for an inspection (just bought the Syncro), first thing a see i a head leak, ok, rear inner axle is shot, same for the front right inner one, the Syncro as the classic 55mph vibration, main drive shaft is worned or out of balance, rear diff lock unit is stuck in the lock position by rust, fuel level gauge is not working (we all know it can be a pain to get this one out), fourth gear is glitching, speedo is not working and is broke into the front diff (250$ parts), front left bearing is cooked, turn the steering tight to see if the VC is still good, barely OK, wheel are locking. Lower left ball joint is shot, upper tie rod also, that is a quick look at the mechanical side (i'm not talking about the very bad braking system), some camper stuff is not working, inside barely ok in my book (you all know MY book), front end is dented, paint is faded with many rust spot, canvas as hole... price paid: 16.5k

Money to put in this Syncro, pffffffffff...

All that to have 4 wheel pulling on the ground?

I AM NOT trying to scare anyone here about Westy or Syncro, just be more intelligent and less emotional when you buy one so you don't regret your new toy for years to come.

Cheers, Ben

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was reading the last few days the postings, while I am just finishing one of those nice Syncro vans. It just had a very nice full paint job after it was totally stripped. Today I am starting to put back everything and put the new windshield in, etc. It has 69k miles only. Everything is like new. Head gasket guaranteed for one year.

Now, reading all the input lately, I was wondering what the reasonable price is. My cost and time makes me put it to about $37k.

What do you guys say? Zoltan