Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:03:21 -0800
From:         Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Joint Vibration
Comments: To: Airic <airic1@comcast.net>

The half shaft came as one piece (new CVs, shaft, and boots). I just bolted it in and lubed it with the grease in the package as the directions told me to. It does feel like an imballance. The CVs were EMPI but I didn't get any part numbers. I'll retorque tonight. Thanks, Blake

On 3/19/07, Airic <airic1@comcast.net> wrote: > > not normal, and have not experiences a break in period. 45 up nails it to > a > drive shaft issue, as long as it is a vibration, not just noise. > > Did you assemble the joint? correctly, lube, and torque the bolts? If > they > were rebuilt cv's or shaft assembly, not new joints put on the original > shaft, I would take them back and tell them to balance the assembly, if > the > bolts aren't loose. > > Eric > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Blake Heinlein" <blakeheinlein@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 1:52 PM > Subject: CV Joint Vibration > > > > Hi everyone, > > > > I installed a new half-shaft (2 CV joints, 2 boots, and shaft) on the > driver > > side of my differential on my 84' automatic. At speeds over about 45 mph > I > > am experiencing a hum (or vibration) that is louder than normal. It is > more > > pronounced when sustaining speed. During acceleration and deceleration > it's > > less noticeable. Does anyone know if this is normal when breaking in a > new > > half-shaft? Will it go away? Do I need to return it an complain? Is this > a > > installation issue? I've only put 200 miles on the new part. Advice > > appreciated. > > > > Thanks, > > > > -- > > Blake Heinlein > > http://blakeheinlein.googlepages.com/ > >

-- Blake Heinlein http://blakeheinlein.googlepages.com/