Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:01:57 -0700
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: parts list for radiator replacement on 1988 Westy

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:40:20 -0600 "Dustin Robertson - <drobertson@BACKCOUNTRY.COM> Wrote: I am going to replace my radiator and wanted your advice what else I should replace. I am less concerned about cost and more concerned about reliability so if there is a better aftermarket radiator I would love to hear about it. I have a 1988 Westy GL with a Subaru 2.5 configured using the Kennedy cooling method which means the cooling system uses almost all the original VW design. ----------

Dustin,

Regarding aftermarket radiators. The two aftermarket models I looked at (one German, one USA) had two-pass cores. The OEM VW Dealer radiator has a three-pass core. The price differences are considerable. Near $600 Canadian for the OEM Dealer one, ~ $300 for either aftermarket one. I don't have any info on the commonly supplied SA Radiators. Other list-members may wish to chime in here with their experiences?

What I suspect is the two-pass cores will loose their cooling efficiency over time, sooner than the three-pass OEM Radiator. The aftermarket Radiators are built of lighter material and do not have the two band-reinforcements that run top to bottom between the top/bottom frame of the Radiator.

I removed these reinforcements off my old one, installed onto the German aftermarket I purchased. Might look to replacing the bottom two rubber donuts the radiator sits on. The top-ones are usually Ok. Check the feed/return hoses between the radiator and the plastic pipes. Good to remove the feed/return hoses off the plastic pipes to check how secure the metal inserts are inside these pipes? Everywhere I found a "screw-type" hose-clamp (DPO), the insert was damaged and working its way out of the pipe! The "spring-clamp" clips that came with the Van were all Ok. I replaced all "screw-type" with "spring-clamp" and haven't had a leak..... yet!

Look to rebuilding or replacing the three card-board air-deflector parts (bottom, left & right). NLA as far as I know and most used ones are as worn-out as yours and mine. I built new ones out of 1/8" HD Polyethylene and a heat-gun. I have more time than brains. They look cool though.

On your reliability question? With reasonable Coolant Maintenance, I couldn't justify a spiffy three-pass OEM VW Dealer Radiator. I also don't have AC and usually avoid the Desert in the summer time. I have made a couple of rationalizations and compromises here too..... 8-)

If cost is not an issue, go with the OEM three-pass core. At this price-point check your local Hot-Rod shops for custom-made racing radiators. Your Subie will be a cool-running cucumber under any and all running conditions..... Will it last longer than an average aftermarket Radiator? I dunno. The OEM one lasted 18 years, the aftermarket one has been in for two years. Check back in 16 years or so Dustin.... In the mean time... enjoy your subie powered rocket.

regards Phil Zimmerman Campbell River, BC