Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:37:24 -0400
From:         Alex Towner <altowner@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      NVC- Wanted - opinions on laptop computers and mobile internet
              providers

As the title says, I am about to buy a laptop and would appreciate any opinions fellow listmembers have. It will be a Windows based machine with Vista. Hopefully I'll be able to run ETKA in addition to using the machine for VAG-COM, desktop publishing, photo and video editing and storage, music files, GPS, and the usual office programs. I've decided I am willing to forego compact dimensions and light weight in favor of a 17-inch screen.

I'll be operating out of new company locations before internet service is installed, so I'm also shopping for a mobile internet provider. I currently have a Nextel cell phone, and it is unlikely that changing mobile provider will be a good option. So I would primarily be interested in a stand-alone plan. I will be operating primarily in Newark, DE (near Wilmington and I-95), Indianapolis, and Austin / Waco,TX. The more coverage the better. Perhaps some of our roving Westfalia folks have some experience with how these services perform.

Feel free to reply off-list if you believe this is a subject that won't interest anyone else.

Many Thanks, Alex (Vanagon mothballed until I can get home to fix it.)