Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:25:01 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Baja Syncro Chronicles vol 113, long
Comments: To: Lee Peterson <iridewheelies@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Lee, I do remember meeting you in San Felipe. I had hoped you would take my suggestion and stay down at our campo way south of town. You could get stuck there too, many people do.

I have seen vehicles of almost every type get stuck on beaches down in Baja. Some looked like they could go anywhere but got stuck just the same. There are lots of types of "sand" and some are nearly impassible for full size vehicles.

The most common reason I see is that there are well used tire tracks running lots of places. People follow those thinking that if all those other people could make it so can they. They don't know that the tracks were made by the countless small ATV type vehicles cruising around.

Syncros can do amazing things but most of the time in Baja they are loaded down with people and stuff to the point where getting stuck is more likely than normal.

Mark

Lee Peterson wrote: > Great story Mark, > > It reminded me of my own trips down to Baja. I just moved to the Pacific > Northwest this year and so far haven't had any time to camp. I'm very > eager > to drive on the beach up here in Washington. > > For some reason I've gotten stuck in the sand everytime I have camped in > Mexico. In fact, you might remember meeting me at the small food store in > San Felipe last year. I have a blue syncro with bike racks on top. > > It was only a few short hours later that I managed to bury all four wheels > in soft sand. I was driving on a remote road by the sea searching for an > area to camp when I cut a corner too sharp and sunk in. > > I am always amazed at how hard it is to pull it out when I get that stuck. > I was lucky that there was a gentleman with a king cab dually diesel > dodge 4x4 living on the next lot. He had to work at it a bit to get her > out. > > I used to get stuck in the sand all the time in my '70. I thought the > syncro would save me. I have come to learn that four wheel drive only gets > you stuck worse. > > It's me that gets stuck, not the bus. I hope I do better in the mud. > > Lee > 89 syncro > Oly, WA >