Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:55:47 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Joint Vibration
Comments: To: Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@GMAIL.COM>

One of my rebulit axel was empi. I have about 45K on them with out problems. I dont even think about them.Rebuilders will go out of business if all them are bad.I dont think they are all bad. I think a percentage of them are assembled incorrectly by people making $5.15/hour.Rebuilders work with percentages, like this.Especially with a/c compressors. I imagine the only part that gets rebuilt is the inclusion of slightly oversized steel balls. It does not take much wear in the races to cause them to go bad.New rubber boots.Do get new bolts , as the hex heads strip easily. If this happens in the black cave, bad news.

Oh yeah, I remember now. The axles kept coming loose. Both at the drive flanges(not the black hole(wonder why)).I would have to go under and tighten them up every few months.Grease was splattered everywhere ,several times, over a year or so.One day they were ok, and the next, grease splattered everywhere.What the ???? Last year ,I was 75 miles from home and one axel completely broke off at the drive flange.All 6 bolts were sheared off and the threads remained in the flange. Game over for the drive flange.Almost game over for my Vanagon and maybe more.Can you imagin the axel swinging around at 60mph? Wouldnt you know,75 miles from home and with a Vanagon that would not run. The last bolt sheared 100 feet from a doner vanagon that I had bought on ebay.I was going to strip it out.Now I had to , but for different reasons. I didnt know I had a problem till the last bolt sheared.I was on a dirt road and got stuck in a rut and the bolt sheared there.0 mph I swapped drive flanges/bolts and I was ok. When I got home, I put a bit of JB weld in the hex holes on each of the bolts. Know what??? I have never had problems since.I still use them and am not afraid of them.Just had to keep the evil Gleprocauns off them.They are ok now and were ok before.Strange story.

I would just remove one,and see if they are flexable and leave it at that. You say that this may not be the issue.Maybe belts or something? Did you remove anything else while doing the cv swap?