Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:50:55 -0700
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: parts list for radiator replacement on 1988 Westy

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:29:46 -0600 Reply-To: don spence <dkspence@TELUS.NET>

Anyone tried something like CLR in a radiator. If it's clogged as bad as this one it couldn't hurt to try. Yes/No?? --------------------- A definite "couldn't hurt to try" Yes... IMHO

Read a few posts and in the archives. Where a Citrus-orange type of cleaner, is left to soak in the Rad for 24 hours, works well on Al-Rads.

The organic acids are pretty mild on aluminum. CLR type products will work Ok too but, to fill a Rad would take many bottles of the stuff. Many products on the shelves of our FLAPS to try and experiment with.

The significant part or point is to clean the Rad without damaging the aluminum and plastic parts. Thus, the pressure testing following cleaning is a definite recommendation. The corrosion and scale inside the Rad maybe the glue that are keeping the Rad from leaking or falling apart!

At some point in this exercise a decision needs to be made. Retire the old faithful Rad and replace with a new but perhaps of lessor quality and weight, aftermarket unit.

An aside. Threw my 17 year old OEM Rad in the recycle-bin at the shop. Watched with glee as a pair local metal scroungers scooped it out and ran off to the Salvage-Yard. They later, let me know with smiles... "We got $2 for it"!

Phil Z. Campbell River, BC -------------------