Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:26:02 -0400
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Intermittent smoking and rough running.. Inline 4 conversion
              engine, long..

Thanks, Dennis.

I know nothing about inline VW motors, so the hint about the valve guides and seals being 'weak' is a good clue. I already found out about the crankcase overfilling, what with the motor being on a steep slant..Caused a huge smoke screen after adding too much oil once.

I'm planning on changing the cam soon, so while I am in there guides and seals seems like something else I should replace (carefully)..If it were worn rings, it seems like I'd be getting smoke on drop throttle..that isn't happening. The smoke is totally intermittant and unpredictable. The partial 'hydrolock'...almost didn't want to crank all the way over once, then smoked like a cold deisel for a few seconds after starting..that made me think some oil was finding its way into the cylinder while the motor was off..Valve guides..or something...I even considered that the ring gaps somehow became aligned and allowed oil to "rise" into the cylinder, by a far-fetched coincidence somehow...slim chance of that, though and I am not sure the angles and levels would support a possible occurence like that..

Hopefully, this will be about a hundred times easier, working on the VW, than the last camchange I did on my 32 valve Porsche 928 motor...Ugg. talk about a fussy car! That one had over 85 bosch relays!..More cams than my VW has valves! A broken timing belt in that motor bent 30 of 32 valves at about $100 per valve! Ugg. I did get over 575 horses, at the rear wheels, on a dynojet dyno, though..

Thanks again for the tips.. Don Hanson