Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:15:47 -0700
From:         honemastert <honemastert@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Expensive Syncro Westie

Some stream of consciouness thoughts for a Sunda..

I'm sure people are gonna jump all over me for this one, but I dont really care, I'm an old VW nut with more $ than time on his hands these days. My wife and I've wanted a syncro westy since we first ran across one in the Big Sandy opening to the Wind Rivers (wy) in 1997. We saw one there in the parking lot as we started a backpack/climbing trip into the cirque there.

My first impression was.. "They made these in 4WD!?" and quickly followed up with "I want one" (from my wife)

Re: Syncros.. they are only going to keep going up in value (to a point)

But then again, insurability is an issue, and god forbid you actually want to use the vehicle. Most of these 'special' insurance deals only work if the vehicle is limited in use (i.e. show car etc)

Flame on (or off) whatever the case may be.. This list is a great resource, and you guys all rock, the wealth of support and info on here is excellent and I have a pretty thick skin.

The point about 1980 dollars is true..! Even 1995 dollars! Even 2001 dollars!

Recall the "Meet Tim" syncro thread?

A few folks chimed in.. 'more power to him' but many others were just busting on me big time :-)

Look at prices now!

and BTW just sold my EV MVWK 02 with 42K miles.

I'm sure folks will jump my case for this one too, as I had Lucas consign it for me. It ended up bringing roughtly $34k including a commission and maint. work (brakes, getting rid of the plastic water pump and trans service) He takes 5-10% depending upon the arrangements.

New owners are thrilled, and I'm glad to have the money to pay for a new honda element and the 'money pit' (er uh Syncro)

I probably cleared a good 2 to 3K more than I could have gotten on my own. There were a few others locally, listed in the high 20's and I didnt want to deal with it. Had enough of a hard time selling a less than perfect 2000 Jeep GC and didnt want to hassle with the EV too.

The only way that syncros aren't for the rich these days, is if you have your own garage, do most of the work yourself, and or keep it together with bailing wire and duct tape.

For the rest of us that fall in various areas in between they've expensive.. There still are *NO OTHER VEHICLES* that compete with the Vanagon and to a lesser extent the Eurovan. But they are nearly 20 years old.. you want to play? you gots to pay.

It's still cheaper than a vacation home, but should not be thought of as an investment.

VW has it's collective head up its 'you know where' to not be selling something here in the US, but then again with the exchange rates, they probably cant build something that would be under $60K US over here.

-tim

90 syncro westy gilbert, az http://www.timschneider.org