Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:41:56 -0700
From:         Nathan Mc Blain <nmcblain@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      How I Came to Own a Vanagon

Just to introduce myself to you other Vanagon owners, and to let you know I have enjoyed reading for the last month or two since I came across this mailing list. Especially the accurate technical repair information and electrical and insulation solutions!

In 2004 I inherited my grandfathers 1990 Vanagon MT base model. Stanley my grandfather, really enjoyed camping in these Vanagons! And before that buses for years, all the way back to the introduction of them by VW. He also owned bugs, two or three buses, and another blue Vanagon over his years. Ever since I was a child, I remember he would buy the base model and then, make 'his own camper'. He drove this one, and the others, through just about every US state including Alaska!

This van was in very poor condition(and still has much to go). Probably like yours, will always need work. It was not desired by family and badly in need of repairs. Coming from the East Coast(Danbury, Connecticut) it's rusted up bad, not like what I'm use to over here in Orange County California.(Exhaust rusted out completely, clutch stuck, rusted though back rear side window, crumbling calipers, power steering rack shot, etc.) Corrosion is the biggest problem. Not to mention the mechanical quirks and troubles from age. I think it probably would be junked being a base model. If professionally done, the parts and repairs would far outweigh the KBB value. Hopefully it is worthwhile to continue to restore?

It was a great tooth pulling experience, taking care of the legal part of ownership with the DMV. I really had to work for it!!!. This was especially difficult because the registration had expired, there was no written power of attorney or will that included it, the VIN plate was on his key-chain(I think the dash was replaced as there are no rivet holes). And the State of Conn. requires you to have Conn. insurance before you can even get a temporary travel license...crazy! Thanks to the support of family/friends and after months of work, a pile of papers, and more than a dozen trips to the Conn DMV, Conn. AAA, Cal. DMV, Cal AAA, probate court, and the CHP it was finally my own :) It took lots of time, patience, and some money, but I'm thankful to own my grandfathers van!!

The trip across the country from Conn. to Southern Cal. was my own unforgettable adventure, mixed with both difficulties and joy. Driving during Sept. on Interstate 80 and 15 was a beautiful ride, most especially through Penn., Wyo., and Utah. I chose 80 because it looked like the easiest way over the Rockies without being too hot. Wanted to see Yellowstone but got the flu in Nebraska, so made a more direct trip home. I didn't push it at all, drove 55mph. most of the way. As I was carrying a bookcase and library of books, more stuff, and camping gear all weighing at least 600lbs. Found night driving through Wyoming much better because the wind is sooo very strong there!! The ONLY vehicle I passed, was a very large fifth wheel being pulled by a worn out diesel pickup. The vent fan made some noise and seized in Penn. So with open exhaust, no AC, no working vent fan, no wind wings, and only windows to stay cool by in Sept. it was an ear ringing, hot ride. But a unforgettable one at that!!

Well that's how I came to own a Vanagon. My next letter will be repair questions. Thanks for reading, Nate

1990 Vanagon Base MT Flash Silver