Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:14:44 -0800
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      MAPP for brazing? (repair enlarged hole in Vanagon clutch pedal)

Hi all.

I want to silver braze a piece of mild steel into enlarged hole (wear/tear) that accepts pin to connect w/clutch MC clevis in clutch pedal.

Has anyone used this type of MAPP setup?

http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/69-407-torch-accessories/enzymatic-mapp-gas-121244.aspx

Need to know if enough "juice" to heat the 3/16" material at hole in pedal.

Would consider small 110 V MIG, but don't think working in basement with welder a good idea. Besides I've never used one, and am more familiar with brazing.

Spending repair quote of "we'll try to keep it under $70", on a possibly useful tool, seems a better idea.

This would also keep me from using a single burner stove element along with propane torch....... yes I've succesfully , though ignorantly, done it.

Thanks muchly,

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil