Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:20:06 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      replaced a few cooling system hoses

I covered the basics in this blog post for pedestrians interested in Vanagons

http://gismemories.blogspot.com/2007/03/wassercooling.html

For us Vanagon listees, I'll add more details. That little hose #24 serves to join those 2 metal pipes that end up less than an inch apart. So #23 definitely has to come off to replace that hose. Why and how the hose clamps get oriented into impossible to loosen positions I'll never understand. One, I just cut off with the dremel and didn't even try to loosen it. I put the new ones on so that the next person to remove them won't have to struggle.

I have one of those flush fittings in one of the heater hoses under the sliding door. I just flush it with the hose as much as I can, in different directions, etc. A good tip is to practice filling the system with water before you use your pre-mixed coolant. It can be part of your flushing process. It also is easier to find out that one of your hose replacements is leaking and needs to come back off when you have water and not coolant in the system. I had put water in the overflow tank and wanted to drain it, so I just pointed its hose down toward the ground on the right side. Since that hose is pretty small, it took a while to drain. I went about my business, and then got to the refilling process. Another tip: I always hang onto those heavy plastic bottles that windshield washer solution comes in. I found that I could make a great funnel by cutting the bottom off one. It fits snuggly into the opening of the expansion tank. snug enough that if you pour too fast, the coolant doesn't gush out of the tank. Anyway, I'm working on the filling up the system with the engine running about 2500rpms, and I start to smell a slight burning smell. I assume it is some of the coolant/water that has splashed on the headers during this whole process. Finally, it gets stronger and I look down to see the hose from the overflow tank is against the header and smoking a lot and has a lot of red sparks all over it. Yikes. It is burned about 1/2 way through. I get all the sparks under control, and make a note about not doing that again. Oh, to hold the engine at some specific rpm, I found a short 3/8 drive socket extension works well wedged in the throttle linkage. It's even adjustable by pushing it further or not. I have AT, so ymmv.

Edward