Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Mar 2007 13:32:54 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mod. Fresh air box to recycle cabin air? (did some searching
              in arch.)
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com>

Hey Jake.

If he does that, then on cold days, wouldn't moisture build up in cab air? (i.e. no fresh air)

Of course in my van I'm sure fresh air gets in a lot of other places.

Even with windows up!

Neil.

On 3/22/07, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@gmail.com> wrote: > Mark, you could just wire some cardboard over the upper air intake to keep > air temps up. :) > > On 3/22/07, Mark Tuovinen <mst@ak.net> wrote: > > > > Neil, > > > > I have been meaning to reply to your first post on this, I too am thinking > > of what can be done to improve the heat output as it is less than > > desireable. We are in the midst of one of our coldest average temp. winters > > in decades, around +`9F average with many nights at my house from `0F to > > -`20F and my `87 Syncro just never gets warm enough unless you drive for a > > long time which most days I do not. I would get it the license plate > > "icebox"(it is white) but that is already taken. I like the idea of finding > > a way to block off the outside air and create recirculated air and will > > gladly pull the dash to modify as necessary, I have to anyway as my > > passenger side wiper pivot broke earlier this winter. My initial thoughts > > have been similar to yours a controllable flapper on the fresh air intake > > and a way to get recirculated air to the core. Unfortunately it has been > > seven months since I had a dash apart and my memory of the air intake area > > is a little shaky. I am also going to > > try and eliminate some of the drafts that enter the van via the doors, > > parking brake handle, etc. I know of people that have installed a clear > > plastic curtain behind the front seats and ducted the rear heater output to > > the front, unfortunately my kids would complain if I did this, they feel > > that they too deserve the benefits from the heater. > > > > Mark in AK > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > > Date: Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:13 am > > Subject: Re: Mod. Fresh air box to recycle cabin air? (did some searching > > in arch.) > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > > > Hi Ryan. > > > > > > Thanks for reply. > > > > > > > I would, however recommendyou block off the two hoses coming out > > > the sides of the >heater box. > > > > > > Good idea. Much simpler than mine. If I could though, I would like to > > > have 100% control of fresh air intake and recirculate cab air. > > > > > > This is what I would do: > > > > > > make flap to control fresh air intake at air intake behind front > > > grill. > > > remove plastic fresh air ram flaps in box, block opening below these > > > so air drawn by fan is not drawn from area of heater core. With flap > > > closed at air intake ram behind grill, fan would draw air from cab > > > through the fresh air vents. > > > > > > Then I could control/mix fresh air intake with cab air. Not sure how > > > restrictive the diamter of fresh air vents would be. > > > > > > I think it's possible to do. > > > > > > Hardest part? > > > > > > Fabbing flap (odd shape) for air intake ram behind grill. > > > > > > Or dealing with taking dash apart again cuz it didn't work...... ;^) > > > > > > Thoughts? > > > > > > > > > > > > On 3/22/07, Ryan Miller <rmiller@azteca.com> wrote: > > > > Neil, I came up against the same problem you're having when I > > > did my air to > > > > water conversion. I couldn't find any practical way to recycle > > > the air > > > > unfortunately. If you do, pass the info along. I would, however > > > recommend> you block off the two hoses coming out the sides of the > > > heater box. These > > > > are fresh air hoses that go to the far left and right dash vents > > > and don't > > > > heat when the heater is on. Maybe the vent flaps close off the > > > air flow > > > > enough though. With that done, I've found the heater works > > > plenty well here > > > > in Utah during the winter. > > > > > > > > Ryan > > > > '82 Camper Van 'Beethoven' > > > > > > > > > > > > Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:37:26 -0800 > > > > From: neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > > > > Subject: Mod. Fresh air box to recycle cabin air? (did some > > > searching in > > > > arch.) > > > > > > > > Hi all. > > > > > > > > Am rebuilding fresh air box and will install heater core as I > > > will convert > > > > to a water cooled engine. > > > > > > > > I understand how the box works but..... > > > > > > > > Assuming box rebuild and engine conversion done properly; > > > > > > > > will the heater properly heat cabin in really cold weather? > > > > > > > > (There isn't going to be a rear heater) > > > > > > > > If not, is there a way to mod box to recyle the cabin air? > > > > > > > > Obviously recycling air from cabin would at least make initial > > > heating> process more efficient. > > > > > > > > One idea I had in that regard. > > > > > > > > Block off fresh air intake, (or make flap to control fresh air > > > intake at ram > > > > outside.Difficult I know....), remove fresh air ram flaps, > > > make/install a > > > > piece underneath area below flap(s) to block air from being > > > "pulled" from > > > > area of box pressurized by fan, so air from cabin could be drawn > > > from side > > > > fresh air vents.The drawback would be no more fresh air from > > > fresh blown > > > > from air vent at ends of dash. > > > > > > > > Has anyone done this? If I'm totally off base, please educate me! > > > > > > > > Any thoughts or success stories in this regard are welcome. > > > > > > > > And for you air cooled people considering upgrading to water > > > cooled, I can > > > > provide pics of box showing how/why heater core can be > > > installed. Have not > > > > installed heater core yet. (Am waiting for parts!) but can show > > > where box is > > > > cut for heater core nipples. > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > > > > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > > > > > > > > -- > Jake > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > www.crescentbeachguitar.com >