Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:29:13 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Trickle charging battery with 1.8W solar panel = failure
Comments: To: Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.UALBERTA.CA>

In general solar panels are rated for their maximum output in full direct sunlight. If the solar panel was not directly angled to the sun, output will be less. If the panel isn't directly in the sun, output will be less, etc. etc.

The only real advantage to a lower rated solar panel is that you usually don't have to worry about overcharging your battery, i.e. you don't need a cutoff circuit.

Sorry, but the smallest panels I have is 6 watts. 1.8 watts is barely enough to turn a fan.