Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:41:40 -0400
From:         David Clarkson <dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How to install Wiper Shaft
Comments: To: musomuso@GMAIL.COM

With my 1982 Westy I made the mistake of over torquing the wiper arm and broke the spindle. Very costly mistake when I found that the entire armature would have to be replaced and that this meant pulling the dash. I was a Vanagon newbie at the time and took it to the dealership (dash had to be removed) my cost for the new armature and the labor to make this repair was over $500.00. This was over 15 years ago. Lesson learned-use Locktite on the wiper arms and don't crank them down so tight.

David Clarkson 1990 Westy (237k)

-----Original Message----- From: musomuso@GMAIL.COM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 3:39 PM Subject: Re: How to install Wiper Shaft

Hi Mike.

No am replacing the wiper shafts behind dash.

One of them had some play, so am doing both while in there.

Thanks for pointers on arms though. Those may get done too, but am hoping the excessive play is taken out w/new parts behind dash. One wiper shaft assembly had play in arm that is press fitted to shafte.

Arms are kinda pricey. Regardless, what started out as "pull the dash, repair heat box, replace fan, install heater core" has become oh-so-much-more which means more $$ anyways. (and I'm making custom parts too).

Neil 81 AC Westy

On 3/27/07, Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net> wrote: > > Neil, > > Are you talking about new wiper arms which go on the shafts external to > the van? > > If so, first thoroughly clean the splines of the shafts sticking out of > the van to get any of the old soft metal off. > > The new wiper arms have soft metal where they go over the shafts and > will cut their own grooves as they are tightened down. Don't swing them > back and forth as you'll just ream the soft metal out and you'll again > need new arms. Just make sure they're positioned correctly before you > start the snugging process. > > Mike > > > > neil wrote: > > Hi all. > > > > Have new wiper shaft assemblies (housing + shaft) to install. > > > > The two pegs on housing look like they need to be compressed once in > > place, but the metal looks like some kind of "pot" metal and I'm not > > sure how much it can be worked. So...... > > > > How are these installed? > > > > Thanks very much for any info, > > > > Neil. > > > > -- > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > > ________________________________________________________________________ AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.