Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:44:40 +0000
From:         Dave Vickery <davevickery@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auxiliary battery for 89 Westy
Comments: To: LHinshaw@EARTHLINK.NET

You may get some disagreement, but I did this and it was fine. if you don't have an aux battery my guess is the planned use is low and a Walmart regular sized vanagon battery is fine. At $40 bucks or so, you could go thru 4 of these for the cost of an optima, and the battery fits under the driver seat in the normally upright position. If it doesn't get drained empty regularly, it will last fine and keep your starting battery from getting drained. I never drained the starting battery running the few things I kept on it, like radio and lights (I hooked up a bigger light to the aux battery and wired new things like inverter to the aux battery. I also never drained the aux battery because I usually drive somewhere at least once a day. I hooked by fridge to the aux battery and was able to let it run on 12V for short stops at stores etc which was a lot easier than switching to LP at stops.

The relay under the driver seat can be used to easily set up the aux battery. I have to look at the terminals again though to recall what goes where.

_________________________________________________________________ Live Search Maps – find all the local information you need, right when you need it. http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag2&FORM=MGAC01