Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:43:43 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 6k Road Trip w/Westy with 142K miles
Comments: cc: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

>Option two - fly there, take Amtrak Empire Builder back to Chicago >and then fly to MA - somewhat interesting!

If you do this, make sure you have plenty of time for the train->plane connection in Chicago. I understand that Amtrak's on-time performance outside of the Northeast Corridor (Boston, NY, etc) can be spotty. In the NEC Amtrak owns the tracks and has exclusive use of them; in the rest of the country they are a "guest" on the BNSF or UP freight railroads. What I hear is that BNSF tries to do a good job keeping Amtrak trains rolling, but that UP will hold Amtrak on the siding for every 20 mph local freight that they can. Amtrak itself does not recommend train-to-train connections tighter than one day. For more information, check the Usenet group news:misc.transport.rail.americas .

>Option three - ROAD TRIP!! Load up the 87 Westy drive there and >back...INTRIGUING!

You might do an oil change and tune up a few days before you go (not the night before) so you can make sure everything is OK. You should probably have things like extra fuses, light bulbs, quart of oil, some coolant, "fan" belts, spark plugs, fuel filter in the car with you. Bigger stuff is up to money and availability. What I mean is, you probably don't want to carry a spare fuel injection computer - expensive and it rarely breaks. But if the alternator craps out and your alternator is not commonly stocked by the chain parts places, it might make sense to take one, even though it might not be cheap. Or if the muffler bearings cost $1 each but are only available from a Vanagon-specific vendor, you might have a couple of those with you. Some things, though, you can buy on the road if you need - like a whole case of engine oil, or extra transmission oil, or whatever.

You might also take any small and odd tools that might be needed - an air-cooled example is the hex tool with 3/8" drive that takes out the fill and drain plugs on the transmission. These will be helpful whether you fix something yourself or get help at a shop.

Another important category is "field repair" materials: duct tape, baling wire, zip ties, insulated wire, etc. This is for repairs that might not last the whole trip, but will allow you to drive from East Possum Whiskers into Metropolis rather than walking.

I'm sure there are some more "what to take on a road trip" lists floating around as well.

Matt Roberds