Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:05:08 -0700
From:         amy monk <amymnk@SNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cooling System Project (Tools)
Comments: To: Nathan Mc Blain <nmcblain@YAHOO.COM>

You will need to get an adapter to fit the Vanagon expansion tank. NAPA has them. Not sure of the part number,but they can look it up. Don't think I have ever seen a pressure tester that had the vw specific adapter included. It simply screws onto the expansion tank and has a standerd (american auto type) fitting on top. That the pressure tester hooks up to. I keep the adapter right inside the NAPA pro series tester blow molded case. Its a great feeling when you put a couple pounds on the system ,then come out the next morning to find the couple pounds still there.

Bill M Mystic,CT

Nathan Mc Blain <nmcblain@YAHOO.COM> wrote: List Members, NO MORE FARTING AROUND I WANT TO FIX ALL THE LEAKS!!!

Six months ago I did the coolant system flush. New for me (actually all the Vanagon repairs are new for me), but I took my time and tried to do my homework esp. choosing coolant. Used the little Prestone back flush kit and chemicals (available at Walmart FYI. And if you use flushing cleaners be sure to REALLY rinse to remove all chemicals) Replaced the rear heater valve and seal ring, thought everything was pretty good (at least for two years). Wrong!!

Ever since the flush, the Bar's Stop Leak that must have been holding everything together is gone, so now I'm loosing coolant again in at least two places!! I'll describe more another letter "Cooling System Project (Parts/Application)". Which ticks me off because I used the good coolant and it's probably now degraded prematurely by air exposure

Ben, I was reading on your site about using coolant pressure testers. I would like to add this to my small collection of tools. Excellent information on your site by the way! Thanks for taking the time/money to put so much up for all to read!

What to look for in buying a coolant pressure tester? I saw the KD-Tools tester kit on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-3700-Radiator-Adapters/dp/B0002WSBTS/ref=sr_1_6/103-6885123-3220666?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1174514625&sr=1-6 It looks good and a mechanic told me KD Tools makes good stuff. Has anyone bought this kit? (There is one review on Amazon by a disgruntled customer - Are you here listening? Tell us more about it!) It's suppose to check the coolant system & radiator caps. Does it work well with our Vanagons? Is there any key descriptive word, or way to know for sure, this or other testers will fit the expansion tank?

I would like to have a good pressure testing kit for my Vanagon before I start my project. And down the road, when friends come over with their own coolant problems. I'm interested in a med/high, more high end, quality tool kit-no crap. As good as or better than Craftsman but not as expensive as Snap-on. As always, the most bang for the buck!

I appreciate all advice. But esp. proven, sound, and coming from the professional mechanics and engineers on this list. I'm on Digest mode and still slow so bear with me please.

Thank You, Nate

P.S. Lets keep this on the List if possible for the benefit of all, unless it will be bad for someones business or toes.