Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Mar 2007 07:23:24 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Solar Panel config?
Comments: To: "Savar @ Gmail" <savar142857@GMAIL.COM>

Hi B,

I've done exactly that. I have a pair of 45W BP Solar panels which I stash where the upper bunk used to be - we use that area for storage. The panels get deployed out in the sun, propped up by a couple of telescoping hiking staffs. They are connected to a Solar Boost 2000E solar controller via 6-gauge "extension cords" which I made from some nice wire I got at West Marine and Power Pole connectors. The solar controller usually gets me 20 to 40% more current than connecting the panels alone. In good sunlight I read 6+ amperes through my analog ammeter. I use a Xantex digital volt/amp/amp-hour meter to monitor battery state of discharge. I have a Group 27 deep-cycle battery under the bench seat. A typical evening with soft music, fluorescent and LED lighting, and a DVD plus however much power our Norcold 12V refrigerator needs (depends on outside temp) generally reduces the battery's charge by 15%. When it's sunny, the battery is recharged by midmorning. The panels put out enough current that I can take the battery offline during sunny hours and run everything -- including the 2.5 amp refrigerator -- from the panels alone. I'm real happy with the system.

I have written some pretty detailed messages about the system for this list - search back for a couple years for my posts. You can find posts where I give more descriptions along with links to the various bits. Maybe you'll get some ideas from that.

P-mail me after you've looked over my posts if you need more info.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

Savar @ Gmail typed: > I've decided to outfit my 88 Westy with a solar panel for my sojourns into the Desert! > Here's my idea: > I want to get a rigid panel (the flexible ones just aren't that efficient) that fits up in that space behind the folded bed on top. When I'm camped, I would pop the top, take it out and place it in a good spot for ol Sol and have a through-lid plug of some sort, with the wiring running down to my aux. deepcycle battery that's hangin under the rear seat. > Has anyone tried this, or some version of it? > Any panel reccs? > > Thx > B. Simon >