Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:14:21 -0600
From:         Adrian Bertarelli <abertarelli@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      FS: 87 Syncro Westy Weekender (sorry for the long post)

I am in disbelief that i am actually listing this car for sale. I bought it in 1998 and it was my dream car. I was an old bay window and splitty guy, so this thing was just a dream. I had grand expectations, and a very good vision to turn it into my dream van. I had a typical syncro experience with it. Not only did it cost a fortune to buy, but it caused a rift between me and my family. The first year i tried to drive it as a daily driver but it was just right at the age and mileage to have catastrophic failures. I stuck to my guns and put just as much money into it to fix it up and keep it running as it cost me to buy it. It broke me mentally, physically, and monetarily. I finally snapped and took what money i had left and bought a ford ranger. Since the year 2000 the bus has had less than 10,000 miles put on it. I love it it runs good, but it needs more tlc than i can put into it anymore. I have real life problems that require me to give up the dream. So this is a chance for someone to pick up a good deal. although i had a new truck i never gave up on her and upgraded and fixed her to get her closer to my vision. She is not a daily driver and she has many fixes and upgrades that have very low miles on them. This is what i have to offer:

-87 syncro westy weekender(poptop, jump seat, no sink and fridge) maroon red with tinted windows -stock 2.1 liter wasserboxer- does not leak or burn anything ( always intended to replace with a conversion) -brand new power steering rack and pump -16 inch wheels with bfg allterrain ta's(go west wheels) -a fastforward lift kit(new springs in front and spacers in the rear) -old man Emu shocks all around -Daryl rebuilt transaxle (aa transaxle fixed slider hubs and what not) 3 years ago(again i do not drive it much less than 5000 miles on it) -rebuilt driveshaft(new rubber and u-joints) no vibration -The VC never worked right so I bought a good working VC from a listmember and installed it works perfectty.(I went this route because i was going to put in a drive shaft decoupler and a solid shaft replacement still on the wish list) -New rear axles(with lifetime warranty) -New Front CV Boots Inner(the outer were fine) -New Ball joints in the front -new tie rod ends -Skylight Guy new skylight (new lifter arms (i forget what they are called) and new seal) -Instrument panel replaced to get rid of the clock and have a tach -spray on bed liner applied to the rocker panels and wheel arches -Sony Minidisc radio with 10 disc cd player -Sirius satellite radio -Infinity speakers powered by a Sony amp -blaupunk 10 inch sub woofer powered by a MTX Amp -Deep cycle battery as secondary battery which all the interior electronics run off of (relocated battery to the cabinet in the rear instead of under driver seat Due to the depth of the deep cycle batteries) but this setup is more ideal because when you are camping you can rock the tunes all night and not have any affect on the driver battery, and your deep cycle will charge back up) -This car has been a Colorado car all its life

The Bad -It is 20 years old and does have some signs of very minor rust. I live in Colorado and it is very dry here so this is very minor undercarriage rust. -The interior is worn, not in bad shape but not pristine -there are minor dents on the front and the sides(minor) -exhaust pipes are rusty but were replaced 4 years ago, stembro system -no AC- I live in Colorado and the ac compressor is just an added strain so i removed it. I still have it and you will get it with the car. I never removed any of the other components they are all still their(condenser and compressor and such) -actual mileage of the van is unknown it was rebuilt right before i bought it so it has 20,000 or so on the rebuilt engine -she is not perfect she has been used as an off road recreational camping fun car, if you want perfect go to go westy and get one of their rebuilt cars.

When i purchased the car i had it inspected and gone over by the only reputable vw vanagon mechanic in town VERNERS. He recommended the car, and it had been in his care for a few year previously to me purchasing it. In looking back i think he and his operation are not good at all. I know more about the syncro than i would like to know and some of the failures had signs back then, but i didn't know what to look for, he should have. It is just my opinion derived from dealing with there shop and my experiences.

This car means allot to me and i am sad to have to let it go. I have real problems in my life and i need the money to work on them. I am asking 16,000. I think that is reasonable the tranny, wheels, tires, suspension on the van have 10k invested in it. This will be a very nice ride for someone and i want to get it to someone who will take the project forward and get her closer to the vision i had for her. I am real close to getting her their, but i lost my job and have a house to protect, their is no more extra money it was this or my 61 Harley, which may still need to go in a few months. Let me know if anyone is interested I do not have current pictures but i will send you some older ones, and i will take some new ones as soon as the snow melts(early next week)

Contact Info: Adrian Bertarelli abertarelli@gmail.com 77 alpine gulch rd boulder co 80302 303-443-1873