Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:18:54 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: thermostat
Comments: To: Ccsvanagon@WMCONNECT.COM

Well, I for one have thought of this issue in the past and just recently and would like to know more about this device.

First your questions.

While I support using them for economy reasons, the engine stays in a rich mode a long time, and this applies to all engines, with a thermostat.

I feel that the agressive nature of the waterpump, indicates that the engine should be driven gently, say 2000 Rpm or below until some clamping force via the head studs is present. Especially on cold soaks and cold wx. So the worst cas senario I 'm thinking is a engine that is quickly up to operating RPM on a cold morning, hardened jacket seals; a large differnce in the expansion/ contraction of aluminum water jackets and steel cylinder and head studs; and the waterpump trying to push all of that coolant to the front of the van but the thermostat is restricting this. Result higher than average pressure on the Jacket seals, and less than average clamping force on the Head/ Jacket seals via the steel head studs. So an opertunity to push coolant beneath the jacket seals.

My questions is that I have several , 4 I think, old thermstats . Some have a large baffle or end plate and some have a smaller one. Which is correct. Are these thermostats used in different applications.

Mark