Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:25:09 -0400
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: any MD's in the house?  help with windshield removal tool...
Comments: To: Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>

Paul not a MD but buy looking at it i would guess it to be the type of tool one might use when you have cut someones chest open. the curve would go around the edge of the cut where the muscle and bone is and you would use that loop handle to pull on. that would allow greater access to the area without making a larger or multiple incisions.

google images search for chest spreader yields that the proper medical name for this tool is 'retractor'. indeed it is used to pull back skin/flesh/bone after an incision to gain greater access to the work area.

this site has quite a few offerings for retractors, http://www.gpcmedical.com/products.php?pcode=211&ccode=273

this picture is NOT for those of you that can't handle blood and internal organs it shows retractors in use. http://www.thompsonsurgical.com/images/tsi_imagery_urologyhome.jpg

thanks for posting this it looks like an interesting tool how exactly did you use it?

jonathan