Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:31:44 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Attn: Electrical Gurus! (I searched archives)

Hi David.

Thanks.

Yes I'm familiar with the resistor. It used to be located in fresh air/heater box but for future servicing will be mounted, safely ( I know it gets quite hot!) outside of box.

I think I'm misunderstanding the problem some people have had with the switch.

I had read in archives that switches may have failed due to older (worn) less efficient fan motors drawing more thus putting increased load on switch. In my case I've put in a new fan, so yah maybe switch should last a long time and I'm off base on what I'm thinking.

Is it possible that a worn out inefficient fan motor would cause premature fan switch failure?

Neil.

On 3/30/07, David Marshall <mailinglist@fastforward.ca> wrote: > I've never had a problem with the OE fan switch. I'd keep it "as is" with > the OE unit. To replace would take 5 minutes and it would look stock, work > like stock and be quite nice. > > The different speeds of the fan are not via the switch directly - out side > there is a big resistor with several input taps and the switch feeds this > resistor and the fan gets more or less voltage depending on which tap you > are supplying power to. Every setting on the switch will take the same > amount of current, so it would have to be the same size as what the fuse is > rated for. > > David Marshall > > http://www.hasenwerk.ca > http://www.fastforward.ca > > Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J2 > > > On Fri, March 30, 2007 12:46, neil wrote: > > Hi all. > > > > My heater/fresh air fan speed switch needs to be replaced and I want > > to replace with a better quality switch than OE. > > > > I searched net'. There are 12V 6A toggle switches available. As a last > > resort, I would install a toggle (SPDT?) and wire it for an "off" > > "low" and "high" setting. > > > > There is no electrical rating marked on my stock switch. > > > > What are the stock fan speed switches rated at? > > > > 12V DC, but how many amps? > > > > Has anyone else found a better "mousetrap" in terms of a better > > quality 3 spd. fan switch? > > > > Like from a different vehicle? > > > > Even though the OE switch doesn't cost much, and I know I'm being > > completely puckered about this, I just can't see putting in something > > that from what I've read about in archives, is either poorly made, > > poor design, or both. > > > > No disrespect to VW or VW fans. Batteries not included. YMMV...... ;^) > > > > Much thanks, > > > > Neil. > > > > > > > > -- > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > >