Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2007, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:09:33 -0700
From:         Nathan Mc Blain <nmcblain@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cooling System Pressure Testing - make your own tool
Comments: cc: "Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@gnb.ca>

Giasson, Sorry for the long delay, been having trouble with my computer. Am writing from the lirbrary today. But what a smart, simple, and effective design for your pressure tester! This really solves my pressure testing problem. Thank you. Now I know...there is no sence investing in a pressure testing kit when none of the included adapters fit the unique Vanagon cooling system. I really like the fact that you used the common item of a bicycle pump that most people have, to get the pressure needed. I plan to find the parts locally or online and build my own. Have never seen a "tank valve". Was at the hardware store the other day, but they don't carry one. Maybe McMaster Car has it? BTW were did you get those European style nonperforated hose clamps, not a common hardware store item here in California, maybe common over in Canada.

Thanks again for the design and for taking the time to send the pictures along!

I think the "filter gauge" is refering to an inline filter set-up for a air compressor, to remove air and water. I have one but it doesn't remove the water like it should.

Nate

"Giasson, Pascal (DNR/MRN)" <Pascal.Giasson@gnb.ca> wrote: Here is the parts list I used:

1- 1/8" npt tank valve (could use a valve stem from a car or bike and rig it up somehow with clamps and hose with a barbed hose connector but what I did was easier) (found at Prices Auto in Canada)

1- 1/8" npt threaded filter gauge (that is the pressure gauge. Mine is 30 psi and the threads are on the back. Don't know what filter gauge means, but I found it in the compressor section of an autoparts store (Prices Auto in Canada)

1- 1/8" npt brass barbed hose connector (found at a hydraulics hose store, but common at other stores)

1- 1/8" npt brass "T" fitting to attach everything together (found at a hydraulics hose store, but common at other stores)

1- old coolant pressure cap with guts removed or broken off so that it allows a free flow of air in and out

1- Short piece of high pressure fuel line

2- Hose clamps

1- Bicycle pump to pressurize the system

- Thread sealant to make sure the threads are sealed

Basically everything ties into the brass "T" fitting. Easy to figure out once you have the parts. Then screw the old cap on the coolant pressure tank(coolant will likely form out of the pressure tank...it did on mine), hook the tester up to the cap with the short fuel hose, clamp it on and pump the system up to 15PSI with the bicycle pump.

I have pics if anyone wants to see my setup. Just p-mail me.

Pascal

'84 Westy ---

Another cheapy huh.. Please tell more about the details of planing/building your pressure tester. Nate