Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:51:55 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Attn: Electrical Gurus! (I searched archives)
Comments: To: neil <musomuso@gmail.com>

>From: neil <musomuso@gmail.com> >Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:38:10 -0700 > > I had heard of someone thinking of using a relay in the circuit a la > the headlight upgrade. But as you said it then becomes one relay per > speed. Kinda what I thought would happen.

The most benefit probably comes from installing a single relay for high speed. You don't _have_ to install a relay per speed if you don't want to.

You could also reduce the wad-of-relays effect by using smaller relays. As newer cars use dozens of them, you can get relays with decent contact ratings that physically aren't very big. These tend to not have 1/4" male terminals, though - they have narrower terminals and/or pins for a circuit board. You could get four relays in not too much space this way, but you'd have to be comfortable with soldering them in.

The super deluxe version would be to build a pulse-width modulation controller for the fan motor that just uses the wires from the switch in the dash as logic inputs to control the speed. You could even implement an overcurrent monitor (for old, creaky blower motors) that would either shut off the blower or turn on a handy "Check Blower" LED.

The extra super deluxe Syncro Limited version would be to incorporate a satellite radio receiver that gets the latest weather conditions and forecast and automagically adjusts the blower speed to create optimum comfort in the van. You could even do away with the dash switch entirely!

(See, I'm starting to get into this Vanagon thing! Even so, my Splitty roots are whispering to me, "What kind of wuss needs a heater blower? And even with one, why don't you just use an alligator clip lead to bypass the switch until you install a toggle? Of course, you could just open the safaris..." (Has anybody ever made a the entire windshield of a Vanagon flip out like a safari?))

Matt Roberds