Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:34:57 +0000
From:         Pam McIntosh <p_d_mcintosh@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '91 rear heater leak only when heater 'off' - re-send

Hello and Happy Spring to all!

I'm wondering why my '91's rear heater leaks coolant only when heater is 'off' - yes off, lever to rear, no heat?

I'm not sure what exactly is leaking - core or valve or O'ring. I don't see or feel any sign of leak from the lines, bleeder or valve or anywhere I can reach to feel on the housing. Just underneath the whole thing. I haven't had the black plastic cover off - don't think that is something I want to tackle myself. Can the valve or O'ring leak and it not be visible when the black plastic housing is in place - ie leak into the housing then find its way out the bottom?

I would thing that if it were the core it would leak when the heater is on -??

I drove all last summer and this winter with heater on and have had no leaks. I would like to attend to the problem as will likely get worse - whatever it is. I would like to get educated before I take it to a mechanic (when I find one).

There are many archives on rear heaters problems. I have 170,000 km on the van. As I will be paying labour should I get the whole thing (core valve etc) replaced while I am at it - even if it were just an O'ring?

I also saw in archives that you can get air into cooling system from the rear heater? I have a coolant level / air problem that will be the subject of another post "Coolant loss in expansion tank but not fill tank" perhaps there is a connection?

Thanks for any input...

_________________________________________________________________ Txt a lot? Get Messenger FREE on your mobile. https://livemessenger.mobile.uk.msn.com/