Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Apr 2007 21:01:37 -0500
From:         Matt Roberds <mattroberds@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: O2 sensor testing the wires...
Comments: cc: Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>

> From: Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET> > Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:29:22 +0000 > > I've seen bad ground and shorted sensor wire mentioned in the > references to the O2 sensor. How does one check these wires?

There are a couple of ways to do it.

First: VOM in "ohms" mode, Rx1 or Rx10. Van not running. Unplug connector at O2 sensor. Unplug connector at ECU. Put one VOM probe to a prong in the harness side of the O2 sensor connector. Put the other VOM probe to the corresponding prong in the harness side of the ECU connector. The VOM should read zero ohms or very very close to it. Wiggle and poke at the harness while the probes are held firmly against the prongs. If you find a spot that makes the VOM reading go up, you've found a bad spot.

Second: VOM in "volts" mode, set for a low range like 2 V or less. Van running. Figure out a way to "backprobe" the connectors while the connectors are still attached. Sometimes you can use a safety pin in the back side of the connector. Or, poke a safety pin right straight through the wire - be careful that the pin doesn't ground out on anything. When you are done, use some electrical tape or silicone to cover up the pin hole. Put one VOM probe to a prong/wire in the O2 sensor side of the O2 sensor connector. Put the other VOM probe to the corresponding prong/wire in the harness side of the ECU connector. The VOM should read zero volts or very very close to it. Wiggle and poke at the harness while the probes are held firmly against the prongs. If you find a spot that makes the VOM reading go up, you've found a bad spot.

The first way checks the continuity of the wires, and the second way checks the voltage drop. The first way is easier to do, and is probably about equal to the second way for the O2 sensor signal wire. The second way is probably better for the O2 sensor heater wires, as the testing is done with a higher current than the VOM alone can provide.

Matt Roberds