Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:18:49 -0400
From:         mordo <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Surging between 1700 and 3000 rpm
Comments: To: Dennis <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

I did not know that about that kind of filter. I didn't run the number of this Purolator filter but I know Purolator specs one for the 2.1 vanagon.

I don't think it's sealer that is the goo simply because i have the PO's receipt for the tank replacement and it's about two years old. The tank still has a clean, shiny finish on the outside. I suppose it could be reconditioned.

With that regulator-like device on the output end it compels me to do an output test to make sure I'm getting the appropriate flow even witha clean filter.

On 4/3/07, Dennis <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > > That fuel filter is designed for a carbureted application. Not designed > for the flow of a recirculation FI system. That and the goo resulted in > the element collapsing. That pump looks like maybe it belongs inside a > fuel tank, not external. The goo is interesting. Maybe a fuel tank sealer. > > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > mordo > Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 8:53 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Surging between 1700 and 3000 rpm > > I haven't corrected this problem yet due to a lack of appropriately sized > fuel line at my FLAPS, but the photos at this link is certainly evidence > of > the problem being a restricted filter: > > http://picasaweb.google.com/mmordo > > Check out the sassy, cobbled-together fuel pump rig I'm running. The > filter > was before the pump. I beleive it is what the FLAPS calls out in as spec'd > in the Purolator brand. > > What do we think the goo is? It looks waxy and very much like something > you > don't want in your fuel system. > > There appears to be some sort of pressure regulator on the outbound end. > Is > this typical of the OEM pump? I suspect not. I wonder what vehicle it's > intended for? > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: mordo <helmut.blong@gmail.com> > Date: Mar 31, 2007 12:15 PM > Subject: Surging between 1700 and 3000 rpm > To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > > > I'm bumping this post in hopes for some diagnostic help. > > I thinkn calling this condition "surging" was inaccurate on my part. It is > actually just momentary loss of power. > > The condition presents with the engine warm, and the engine under load. I > have tested fuel pressure at the T and it is at spec. > > I am thinking that the throttle valve switch is a possible culprit. My > question now is what is "full throttle"? If the switch is defective or > misadjusted, would the switch out of adjustment cause this momentary dying > condition under full throttle? > > I've just checked continuity and adjustment of the TVS and it appears to > function properly. Given where the throttle is when the the swithc closes > for full throttle, I would guess that the TVS is not related to this power > loss. The throttle valve is open to its stop when the switch closes. > > To recap: > > > - 2.1L wbx with Vanagon syndrome harness installed > - Idles fine > - Under load, at about 1500-1700 rpm, the egnine dies and then revs up > to about 3000 rpm. Dies, revs. Dies, revs. > - If I hold the throttle steady it does this very consistently > > I'm at a loss. Any ideas? > > Thanks, > > mordo > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: mordo <helmut.blong@gmail.com> > Date: Mar 25, 2007 4:31 PM > Subject: Surging between 1700 and 3000 rpm > To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > > > I just went out for a drive, the third short trip of the day. The van ran > fine the first two trips except on a fairly steep grade near my house. On > this grade, the engine loses power and drops to about 1500 rpm. By > feathering the throttle, I could get it to rev up again and get me home. > > This third trip, the engine consistenly surged between abot 1700 and 3000 > rpm at about 25-30 mph. This is an automatic 2.1L wbx. Feathering the > throttle seemed to have little positive effect. Accelerate from a stop and > rev up to about 3k rpm - it dies and drops to about 1700 rom and then it > goes right back up to about 3000rpm. A moment later, it drops back to 1700 > rpm and so on. > > I would be willing to believe it is a clogged fuel filter but why would > the > surging be so consistent? > > The engine idles fine. The engine is warm, not full on hot. > > I checked the fuel pump wiring before this trip. A good wiggle on all > connections did not produce any negative effects. The fuel filter is a > clear > plastic, round filter in frotn of the pump. It seems to have some strange > muck at the bottom side of the filter. > > Any lucid insights, list? > > -- > mordo > 1990 Carat > > > -- > mordo > 1990 Carat > > -- > mordo > 1990 Carat >

-- mordo 1990 Carat