Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:44:08 -0400
From:         Bob Donalds <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: In praise of aircooled vanagons
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>

Its true that the air-cooled van has to tolerate poor quality fuel AND there are things you can do about it. The addition of an external oil cooler prevents the oil from hitting that magic temp of 225 F. Oil at 225 F has what could be considered a phase change. I have seen this while testing air-cooled engines with real time digital temp gauges. As the oil reaches 225 F the head temps soar due to the fact that the oil stops accecpting heat from the heads at the same rate. Air-cooled engines acumulate heat over time depending on load and abient air temp. As I like to say the air-cooled engine has has a max running temp limited only by the melting point of aluminum. Gene berg often said that gauges are worthless he was right the event is over long before the gauge reacts can you say VDO. Gene Berg Ent sells a oil temp dip stick and guess what it makes the oil light flicker at 225 F

Bob Donalds Boston Engine Exchange all rights reserved

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Keezer" <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 3:26 AM Subject: Re: In praise of aircooled vanagons