Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Apr 2007 15:36:23 -0700
From:         Ray Reinhard <rayreinhard@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '86 Westy Price?

Volks,

I have a 4-spd manual transmission '86 Westy full camper that I (regrettably) must part with after 16 years. Because it has 225K mi on it, TheSamba.com won't give me a value. The odometer doesn't tell the whole story, though, because I had Volks Cafe (Santa Cruz) install a Tiico engine and rebuilt transmission 6 yrs and 42K mi ago. (Van consistently gets 19 - 20 mpg and has plenty of power.)

This vehicle has been lovingly cared for, serviced regularly, and has always "lived" in CA. Accordingly, it has absolutely no rust. In addition, the body is in perfect condition, with the exception of a small dent in the rear bumper. Anything that has ever needed repair has been promptly fixed. All upholstery is original, in extremely good condition, with no tears. (The only damage is that some of the "fuzz" has worn off on the side of the driver's seat.) I also found a "slide in" third seat (same color, slightly different pattern), so it will hold six.

Sound system is all Blaupunkt (as befits a Teutonic ride): I replaced rear speakers, installed separates (tweeter and mid/bass) in front, subwoofer (imported from England) behind the driver's seat, and amp below the driver's seat. And, tuner/CD player, of course, is also Blaupunkt. It won't shake the earth, but the sound's nice and plenty powerful for the van.

I installed Projektzwo fog lamps in front, which integrate perfectly w/ the van's look. It's wired for hands-free cell phone use, with antenna, speaker, and phone holder on a flexible stem (same height as gearshift). Oh, yes, I also have a "bra" for it.

Exterior is gold, interior brown.

Only known negatives:

- A/C isn't working - Canvas could stand to be replaced (tears in mesh screen and small rips beginning in other areas where fabric pinches) - Interior light only goes on when driver's side door is opened -- not passenger's - Windows and side mirrors are manual, not power - Some plastic curtain hooks are broken

Reasons for sale:

- Wife & sons are "too old" for camping trips - Not economical enough to continue using as daily driver

Appraisals, anyone?

Ray Reinhard '86 Westy GL

-- Ray Reinhard