Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:26:52 -0700
From:         Matthias Kuster <matthiaskuster@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: SUB EJ22

If you are going the junkyard route, avoid ej22s manufactured before mid 1990 (door plate will have manufacturing year. I blew one of these because the rod bearing went, had 160k on install, blew at about 180k. Word has it that the oil control rings are no good on those as well. I have so far had good experience with later (1991-1994 variety) years. I would also stick to 100k-130k miles ones. Which can still be found at a junkyard. You also want to pick one from an automatic, since then the car is junked most likely because of tranny failure. CCR in Colorado has the best reputation for rebuilt units. JDM japanese imports can be an option also. I have a Wolfy and a Westy, both 1984, with ej22 engines around 120k and about 8-10% leakdown at install. Run both much smoother than the initial one I installed that blew. If you can take the mariachi music and filthy dirty clothes at end of day, Junkyard is a good idea since you'll be able to get all the necessary ancillaries also, so make sure the engine is complete and all FI/engine management parts are still there. Will save you buttloads of time figuring things out. You should join the subaruvanagon list on Yahoo as you will find all the answers and great advice there. I am a gazillion times more satisfied with the Subaru in my Vanagons.

Good Luck