Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Apr 2007 20:43:47 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Old wiper motor parks, New doesn't
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net>

Hey great info.

Yah I knew that when starter is cranking some other accessories wouldn't get any juice.

Thing is, the wiper motor doesn't work when key is in the "ignition on" position.

Shouldn't wipers should work in that position?

On 4/5/07, Mark Drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > You don't need to ground the motor, the brown wire in the harness is > doing that. The fact that one motor parks and one doesn't points toward > a problem with the internal switch inside the one that doesn't. > > The intermittent setting uses the internal park switch as well. > > All Vanagons have what is called a "load reduction relay". This is > controlled by a separate switch contact in the ignition switch. It turns > off major accessory loads when the switch is turned far enough to > activate the starter motor. This is to make more battery power available > for the starter. The wipers are part of the controlled loads. > > Mark > > neil wrote: > > > Hi Matt. > > > > Thanks for response and info. > > > > It occurred to me that the motor needed to be grounded to work so > > initially I tried that, but found that both old and new motor turned > > with *only* harness connected. > > > > The differences being that the old motor will work on intermittent and > > appears to park. > > > > One odd thing; both motors won't turn when ign. key is in "run" (ign.) > > position. > > > > They do turn when key is turned halfway to ign. position. Maybe I just > > never noticed that before. They should work when key is in "run" > > position. > > > > Anyhow.... > > > > I'll try grounding motor to frame and hook up what I can. > > > > I did hook up the instrument cluster, which made no difference. > > > > Neil. > > > > On 4/5/07, Matt Roberds <mattroberds@cox.net> wrote: > > > >> > From: neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> > >> > Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:05:13 -0700 > >> > > >> > I bought a new wiper motor and am firing it up to get it park so I can > >> > attach wiper relay armsin correct position. > >> > > >> > Problem: it spins on all 3 settings, but won't park. > >> > >> Make sure _all_ the wires are hooked up and that the motor housing is > >> grounded to the van like it would be when it is fully installed. The > >> park function "lives" in both the dash switch _and_ the motor - both > >> have to be there for it to park. > >> > >> The motor housing may not _need_ to be grounded for the park to work > >> but it can't hurt. You don't have to bolt it in - just hold the motor > >> housing/gearbox against bare metal that's connected to the van body. > >> You could even use half of a set of jumper cables - one black clamp to > >> motor housing/gearbox, other black clamp to bare metal that's connected > >> to the body. > >> > >> Matt Roberds > >> > >> > > > > > > -- > > Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia. > > > > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > > >