Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Apr 2007 21:15:58 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Never seen this before..Fuses melted..
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

The "Good" fuses for the '80~'85 model fuse panels are ceramic based but you can buy ones that are plastic based. My advice is to stay away from the plastic ones except in emergency and then replace them with the good ones at the earliest opportunity.

Have you polished the contact points where the fuse connects at both ends? A little corrosion goes a long way and will cause localized overheating.

The proper fuse size fuse for the heater/wipers is 16 amp (red). Of course, it's possible too, that the fan motor is drawing too much current.

Mike

Don Hanson wrote: > My GL/weekender/faux-Westy with the inline 4 motor transplant: I put in another battery to power lights and the water pump a while back without any problems. It works off one of those "mechanical-electrical"switches..the round silver kind that "Clack!" audibly everytime. So I don't think that is related..it has been driven and camped in without problem.. > > But, the fuse that powers the heater blower(s?) and the wipers..'84 vanagon..I noticed it was a bit 'scaly' at the contacts..Like it had been heating up or oxidizing somehow for some reason. So sometimes the wipers wouldn't work till I 'twirled' the fuse in it's contacts. I replaced it with a 20 amp blue colored one from some cheapo auto chain store.. and all was good for a while until I left the car idling once with the blowers on high and the wipers on. Came out and found the fuse hanging by one end, all 'smooshie' looking and melted, still on the fuse block but only hanging by one end. What the____? Never have I seen that before. If it heats up, the metal is supposed to burn through, right? And the fuses are supposed to be porcelin and melt-proof, right? > > So what should an electrically challenged guy do about that kind thing? Was that just a cheapo fuse that was out of spec? Obviously, there is some kinda extra draw or something..or maybe I have the wrong amperage fuse in there, too.. > Anybody wanna comment? Thanks, > Don Hanson >