Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Apr 2007 20:28:52 -0600
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@GWTC.NET>
Subject:      Friday bus story

In early March, 1974 my friends Rob, Kim & Sharon and I rebuilt the 1300

in my 66 westy camper the week before heading to Mexico for a two month quest to find the perfect beach. I'd sucked a valve moving my stuff from Stockton, CA to Santa Rosa, pulling the grade after Petaluma before Cotati on Hwy 101.

This trip had lots and lots of stories that when Rob and I get together entertain his 16 year old. Of course we leave out the sub-theme of also being on a search for pot while down there, and the efforts we went to to get high without anyone knowing it.

We were all 22 years old and relatively new college grads. We got the engine together and turned it over. Rattle, RATTLE, RATTLE, RATTLE.

Kurt & Ziggy, or German mechanic/advisors diagnosed wrong sized rod bearings. We didn't get it out of the driveway and had to strip it all the way down to cracking the case. Uninstalled and stripped in three hours. New rod bearings, and a day later we're ready to turn it over again. This time it purred like a kitten.

We found our perfect beach. It was about 30 miles from the nearest paved road at Tecoman, at the mouth of the river that forms the border between Colima and Michoacan, I think it is. The name of the town was Boca de Apiza. It took us two weeks of wandering, starting with surfing at Mantachen Bay, countless dirt roads from the highway to the coast and back. When we left Tecoman, we were going on directions given us by a storeowner who'd taken a liking to us and invited us to his house for mid-day dinner. We'd written them down, but we were well into the second case of beer and spent a goodly amount of time puzzling out what we'd written.

The roads down there were like flat ski slopes, huge bumps across the road channeling water between them. Some of them were so big I had to drive at a 45 degree angle for fear of bottoming out. I learned this by watching the rattle-trap cars on the road. Needless to say, when we drove it later, it took over two hours to drive the 30 or so miles.

While surfing I stepped on a sting ray and was zapped with its tail right in the heel. It was incredibly painful, and to my horror, the pain grew and grew, moving slowly up my leg. I got out of the ocean and sat down on the beach and just monitored the pain as it moved up my leg. My friend came in asking what I was doing, and I told him. I'd made my peace and was ready to die. I figured the poison would move up my leg, and eventually hit my heart and POOF!!! It was a good life.

Kim made me limp up to the restaurant of the people who built us a two room palapa for the month we were there. Kim told Maria I'd been stung by "uno rayo" and she laughed and said she had what would fix me up. She moved her barrel shaped body over to the five gallon water jug filled with "alcohol" and poured out 12 ounces into a glass. No ice, no water, just really low grade tequila, or the fermented remains of some other cactus. It worked. The pain located itself on the inside of my thigh and went no higher. I, on the other hand, had a couple of these large glasses of alcohol and felt no pain.

But none of this is the story I sat down here to tell.

During the first week of the month we spent in Boca de Apiza we lived on the beach, down from the little village of a couple hundred people, either fisherman families and well off for the area, or plantation workers, who weren't so well off. The coconut plantation was miles and miles in extent, and came down to the end of the beach. A great place for scorpion and tarantula hunting. During this week thousands of people moved to the beach as part of celebrating Easter. The first day we're there and it's just the village, us and the great white beach and pounding ocean waves. Slowly people began arriving, until there were literally thousands.

We'd staked claim to a roof held up by sturdy poles that had survived the hurricane of a couple years before t hat had devastated the village. It was the only shade on the beach. It was the oddest feeling to live under it because there were always at least 20 children and sometimes adults sitting/squatting and just watching us. It was like we were in a zoo. I think half the reason the adult men were there was Sharon's white blond hair and skimpy pink bikini. They went away only at dusk, thankfully.

On one of these days three young men in very nice city clothes walked up and sat down in our space. They had two bottles of rum. They insisted we drink with them, so we sat down to a day of drinking. One of the men was a school teacher and the other two were foremen from the coconut plantation. We ran out of rum after a couple hours - seven people drinking seriously - and started in on beer bought at the restaurant from the family that eventually built us our two room palapa next door to them.

We moved to the restaurant for dinner and continued to drink. As the night wore on we moved from relatively expensive beer to relatively inexpensive alcohol. All of us were blasted by the time the teacher said that he and his buddies needed to get home. It turns out they'd missed the bus back to their village - busses had stopped running it was true. They expected me to take them home. I was in no shape to drive, but hey, I couldn't go more than 15 mph, and who cared if I was heading out into a maze of dirt roads with no signs.

Rob came with me and the five of us got in the bus. I drove, but don't remember anything other than getting to a village and saying goodbye to the three of them. The goodbye was said with each of us chugging a jelly jar of alcohol. Now I was really wasted. I started to drive and realized I couldn't do it. Luckily Rob wasn't as self-destructive as I and was able to drive. It was the oddest thing. As we left the village there were a couple hitchhiking. This was 11PM in the middle of nowhere, and here are hitchhikers!!!

Rob stopped and they got in, very thankful and glad. The man was a young English lord on a five year "tour" of the world. He was painfully shy and oh so attentive to the woman he was travelling with. She was from Japan, but her father was a big-time diplomat and she spoke both English and Spanish as well as Japanese, and probably a couple other languages. She lived in an "other world." They'd hooked up a couple months before and would split at some point it felt like. Casual travellers in the hinterlands of Mexico.

We got back to Boca de Apiza after asking directions of people out walking the dark dirt roads. I didn't. I was too far gone. When we arrived we poured out of the bus, or all of us but the woman. She just sat there. I was way gone and stumbled over to her asking what she was doing. She said that a voice had told her that this bus was going to take her to Central America. "What?" I ejaculated? I didn't think I'd heard her. She said that my bus was going to take her to Central America. She said this with a simplicity that was sandpaper on my drunkenness. The way she looked at me, expecting me to accede to her wish, drove me up a wall.

Normally I'm a peaceable guy. I told her in no uncertain terms that this bus was not going to Central America. She just smiled. By this time her boyfriend and my friends had come over to the bus and she told her boyfriend to get in, that we were leaving. I stood there just flabbergasted. I told her again that we weren't going anywhere, and would she please get out of the bus. She sweetly motioned her boyfriend to get in. He shrugged his shoulders and did so. She whispered in his ear and he got out and got his backpack.

I got in front of him and said no way was he getting in the bus. He was so helpless, me, a big, drunk American standing between him and his paramour, who in part, was obviously living in a world that wasn't shared by anyone else. My friend Rob intervened and told me he'd take care of this. I was verbally abusive and disbelieving this was happening. Apparently the woman was convinced the bus wasn't leaving for central america because she finally got out. But I didn't know this. I ended up out on the beach retching my guts out. I'd drank so much that day that I would pass out, wake up, retch, pass out, wake up, and retch again. At one point I found my head in Robert's lap. I was thankful. I didn't puke on him!

The next morning I woke to the hangover to end all hangovers, and was greeted by Maria, the restauranter's wife, with a jelly jar of alcohol. She just smiled. I slowly remembered what had happened last night and anxiously walked over to the bus. It was just parked. I opened it up, expecting to find t he crazy woman and her synchophant, but it was empty. Apparently they'd left after being refused the bus, heading out down dirt roads into their own probably odd and event-filled futures.

The family built us our palapa and we ate two meals a day at their restaurant. Chorizo and eggs in the morning with all different kinds of freshly squeezed fruit juices, 50 cents, and dinner, usually fish caught that day, with rice and beans, 6 pesos or 75 cents. We surfed and took our little two man rubber raft up the river through the reeds into alligator land - eerie to hear one slither from the bank and enter the water, but not see it. AFter a month we were skinny and tan and our hair had bleached blond from sun and sea. The pictures we have of our adopted family and their home show four youngsters out in the world and loving it.

We'd spent two weeks looking for the perfect beach/experience and found it. Looking at a map of Mexico now there is a paved highway that goes down the coast from Tecoman to Acapulco. In 1974 we were oddities to the denizens of Boca de Apiza. They hadn't seen all that many anglos. We had a pack stolen by Indios who escaped by boat. There were dirt roads to their village two hours down the coast, but we were warned not to pursue - that they carried guns, and there was no law down there.

Jeff Olson Martin, SD, where it's been snowing all day...