Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Apr 2007 02:28:57 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Bus Story: 2

Jeff,

Another much appreciated stoy. Espescially for those of us stuck on the graveyard shift.

On 4/7/07, Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@gwtc.net> wrote: > > This is for all of you working the graveyard shift... > > On the way south on our search for the perfect Mexico experience we > stopped in Mazatlan to get a starter. We'd been push starting the bus > for 900 miles, and it was getting old for the pushers. I was the driver. > > Mazatlan in 1974 was just beginning to expand south. There were a > couple big hotels, but only a couple. South of the hotels was wide open > beaches and dirt roads to reach the beaches. Rolling Stone magazine had > had a big article on travelling in Mexico not to long before we left, > and they'd spent a goodly amount of time talking of other young > American's experiences with outlaws who would plant pot in the > American's car and then threaten to arrest them. Apparently they did an > excellent job really scaring people because they always got the money. > > AFter we replaced the starter we headed south to find a remote beach on > which to drive the bus and camp. I don't know if others have found > this, but the 66 VW camper does really well in sand, even soft sand. We > never got stuck, although we had to use the pushers a couple times to > get us going. We did try and avoid really soft sand because we knew we > had to let air out of the tires and didn't want to use the bicycle pump > to pump them up. Now there's a job - it takes forever to pump up a tire. > > Prior to crossing the border we'd taken a road off the highway to find a > place to stash our stash. We decided that there would be nothing less > obvious than burying it next to a fence post. We did this, and wrote > how to find the specific fence post in the middle of nowhere on the > piece of plywood separating the passenger front seat from the ice box > behind the passenger seat. Those directions were legible for 12 more > years - up to the day I sold the bus, front seats down to springs, > bedframe busted, little dents and creases on every body panel, engine > blown. $75... > > We drove around on dirt roads for a while, trying to find one that took > us to hardpan on the beach. We wound our way through brush six feet > high and finally found a little peninsula that led down to harder sand. > We angled the bus just so - sun blocked if you sat inside, or next to > the side doors under the homemade awning. We settled down to an > afternoon of playing in the whitewash of the surf - the beaches there > are way too steep to do any swimming - this was the case of most of west > coast mexico actually, reading and drinking beer. > > About an hour after we had settled in we heard the groaning of an engine > surging and receding, getting closer. This made us a bit nervous. We > were at least 200 yards or more from the highway, with nothing but scrub > brush between us and it. We'd talked about what we would do if the > scenario described in Rolling Stone happened to us. > > A big 50s Buick or Cadillac pulled up, bouncing on shockless springs, > its pain almost totally gone - the car was rust red with streaks of aged > paint. There were three men in the car. The driver turned off the > engine and they just sat there, 15' from us. We waved at them, and > walked the line between paying attention to what they were doing and > cleaning up the bus. We'd already realized that four people crammed > into the bus required patience and grace with each other. But more > importantly, the bus had to be neat. Everything had its place. I think > this is what helped us through the next 20 minutes. > > After a couple minutes of watching us attend to the bus all three doors > opened at the same time. The driver was well-dressed in jeans, western > shirt, boots, straw wide-brimmed hat. He was wiry and wily. The man > that got out of the back seat was rotund, wearing one of those short > sleeved, shapeless and faded shirts that half the men in Mexico wore. > He had a big grin on his face as he slammed his door and flanked his > compatriot. The guy that got out of the passenger seat was your tall, > big silent type. He was an Indio, high cheekbones, pitted skin, long, > greasy hair under his cowboy hat. His eyes were dead. He also had a > giant pistol in a western style holster and belt. I'd never seen such a > huge gun. This guy was really creepy. He just stood there, looking at > us. > > Sharon was your typical california girl, white blond hair, sunny, fairly > surface disposition, and a well-toned and tanned body she had no qualms > about displaying in her pink bikini. She greeted the two men after > nervously glancing at, and then ignoring, the big Indio. She didn't > know much Spanish, but did know enough to ask, "quieres ayuda?" > > That means, "Do you want help?" The two guys laughed and the Indio just > looked at her. They spoke English and said no, they didn't need help. > The driver said they were policia and that they were making sure people > along the beach were ok. We started acting friendly and joking with > them. We thanked them for looking out for tourists, for checking up on > us. The joking went back and forth for a while and we asked questions > about good places to eat in Mazatlan, just trying to keep them talking. > For some reason this seemed like a good strategy, even though we hadn't > really talked about what we would actually do if we were going to be > robbed. > > After a couple minutes the driver wandered over to the open side doors > and started making comments about the bus, the shelves in one door, the > fold-up table on the other, the awning hooks, the ice box and on and on. > > Rob had stayed in the bus and was sitting on the seat right behind the > driver's seat. His feet were in the aisle and one arm was on the > laquered replacement table I'd put in for the trip. His big, hairy face > leaned out into the space at the end of the table. When the guy had > moved toward the bus Kim had sat down on the floor, his feet on the > ground. He'd turn around when the guy asked a question, but essentially > blocked any access to the interior of the bus. The passenger door was > closed, thank god. > > I kind of jittered around, addressing the backseat guy who stood a bit > back, his face getting increasingly less cheerful, while speaking in > Spanish to the guy looking at the westy details. Rob swears that the > driver who was poking around had a film cannister in his left hand. > He'd gesture with his right hand, and rest his other hand. We watched > him like a hawk. Sharon had put on a shirt - she was feeling a bit > uncomfortable with their repeated, unhidden up and down lascivious > perusal of her body. > > There was lots of movement, but apparently, we had our space > well-covered enough that the driver couldn't plant the cannister. He > backed up in frustration and asked us directly if we were carrying mota > - marijuana. We went into our song and dance that that would be stupid, > that we were in Mexico to vacation and spend money. Both his face and > the rotund guy's faces were now grim. The Indio put his hand on the > butt of his pistol. The driver warned us to be careful, that there were > lots of bad people who would try to sell us mota, and that the laws were > very strict and harsh. We thanked him for his information, maintaining > face and bravado, acting as if there weren't a whole lot of levels going > on. > > The driver made disgusted grunting noise and inclined his head toward > the car. They did their macho swagger to the car, got in, barely got it > started, raced the engine, and backed up and away. > > We just stood there looking at each other, and then started talking all > at once. I kind of did a leaping walk-dance, saying, "it was them, the > guys in Rolling STone. Yes!!!" We war storied and said what we saw. > Rob's noticing the film cannister got the rest of us big eyed, and we > went off to what would have happened if they'd been able to plant it. > > We decided we'd had enough of the beach and loaded up the bus and drove > back into Mazatlan where we got a nice bug infested couple of beds in a > 50 peso a night motel. We had to completely unload the bus because it > was easy to break into. This was one of the reasons we really didn't > like staying in towns - we were carrying a lot of stuff... > > The next day we got up and gladly left Mazatlan, heading south on our > quest for the untrammeled, unspoiled tropics and a decent beach for > surfing... > > Jeff Olson > Martin, SD >

-- Thanks,

Jeff 90' Carat (It's Blue, It's Beautiful, It's naked inside - IT'S ALIVE!) 86' (We call this one Parts) 85' GL (Sidelined and feeling neglected)