Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:48:40 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What features from the Vanagon would be necessary in a new
              vehicle for you to consider it an adequate or improved
              replacement? was: "Brand new" bus now Vanagon

> If you were going to design a vehicle from the ground up to replace the > Vanagon, keeping in mind gov't requirements and all that, what features > would it have and what would it look like- what are the 'essential' > Vanagon > elements? What among those elements should be improved or upgraded (how > and > why)? > > Here's what I'd require to replace my beloved money-sucker Vanagon:

-Engine in the rear, or maybe up front between the seats, like an 80's Toyota Van. Just not taking up space in a big, useless nose. -Decent ground clearance -High, comfortable seats that fit me at 6'2" -Rear bench folds into a bed -Easy to service (I guess that eliminates an engine up front like the Toyota!) -Tough as nails, and reliable if maintained properly -Availability of a Westy-type pop-top -Big enough so I don't bang my head and elbows all the time -Not so huge it only gets 11MPG, like my Chevy work van

What would improve the Vanagon? Air bags, ABS, and all that safety crap I suppose. Really the only serious weakness I see in the Vanagon is the engine. If VW had made a more Subaru-like wasserboxer, it would be perfect. But really, the reason I like the Vanagon so much is that its shortcomings are so very minor compared to its utility. Lots of little annoyances like marginally adequate wiring, dim DOT headlights, stupidly small 14" wheels, stiffener-losing plastic or rusting metal coolant pipes, wimpy front brakes, even wimpier factory engine; but these are all obstacles that can be overcome (by throwing lots of money at them, usually). The satisfaction of watching giant RV's trying to park in a campground, seeing tent campers rubbing their aching backs after sleeping on the ground all night, making lumber yard guys' eyes pop out when you slide five sheets of plywood in the back--- it makes it all worthwhile.

Did I mention the engine is in the back, where it belongs? That's very important.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"