Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Apr 2007 01:55:45 -0400
From:         Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Attn: Electrical Gurus! (I searched archives)

this blower motor overdraw is a problem for all the 80's vw's i have owned. to degree i believe it has to do with IEC design standards as opposed to those of say NEMA.

IEC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Electrotechnical_Commission

NEMA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Electrical_Manufacturers_Association

basically i generally equate IEC with european electrical design. in this age of price point comparision and quick obsolescence IEC has for the most part become the 'world' standard in electrical gear and design. IEC components/design is great if you never ask anything of your equipment above what the user manual lays forth and if in addition to that you practice real preventative maintenance.

i say that to say that IEC is engineered to function to the specification but has little if no capacity beyond that. so little extra capacity that if anything else on the machine goes out of spec the IEC components tend to live a drastically shorted life cycle. in the field i have rarely replaced NEMA gear due to failure. on the other hand IEC equipment failure becomes a regular part of maintenance on heavily used or older equipment.

often if space allows on the machine, IEC equipment will be replaced with NEMA gear after multiple failures. the other hack is if space allows or you are doing the original engineering is to up size the IEC equipment the next size up so that it provides some extra capacity and thus lives longer in its application.

this is exactly what happens with the vw blower fan system and why the 'solution' involves upgrading the original electrical design. on the rabbits, jettas, sciroccos. they used round pins (european models) in large plastic connectors to plug into the back of the fuse box. the pin associated with the blower motor over time melts the connector and the back of the fuse box but generally doesn't pop the fuse until it is in the last stages of failure.

what is happening is that the system/circuit that operates the blower motor was designed just to capacity. thats okay to get by for the first 4 years of the vehicles life but after that the system starts to move out of spec and the components cannot handle the additional load. that is the blower motor bearings loose efficiency, and the wiring due to the high heat cycles from 'undersized' wire and connections increases in resistance.

so the solution is to either rebuild the entire system to bring it back to stock specs, which is costly if the parts can still be had in some cases, or to up size certain parts of the system for the extra demand on system.

i've yet to carry this out on my van although it needs it but, i've done it on several A1's. my hack has involved using the normal power to the fan switch to act as the control circuit on one of the larger standard bosch relays, when the fan switch is in the high position. to provide power to the relay i tapped off one of the available pins (1/4" spade) on the back of the fuse box with either an inline fuse of a fuseable link. this powers the relay and depending on how thorough you want to be or how badly your system has suffered you can run a new wire from the relay output to the fan for the high speed.

none of this of course is going to fix those worn out bearings in your fan motor.

jonathan