Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Apr 2007 23:03:06 -0700
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake question
Comments: To: Troy Delnicki <colorworks@gci.net>

My drums were really stuck when I did my rears.

It appeared that rust between drum and face of wheel hub and on spindle of wheel hub, kept them from coming off easily. I was able to get a **small** flat blade screwdriver inbetween wheel hub face and drum at small bolt hole so I could lever drum away, and pour a little liquid wrench in. It seemed to help. IIRC I also put some LW on spindle and also scraped rust off where wheel hub spindle meets drum.

Be warned though that I was replacing the shoes and drums so was not concerned with getting LW on those parts.

Neil.

On 4/1/07, Troy Delnicki <colorworks@gci.net> wrote: > Thanks, about six people e-mailed me off-line and said the same thing. The > hardest part so far is trying to get the brake drum off. And yes, I did > remember to remove the two small bolts! > > Troy >

-- Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil