Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:31:19 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Fridge - Aux Battery vs Propane
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

This safety argument has been going on in the RV world since absorption refrigerators started being used. Yes, there is a risk to having a flame and using propane either while traveling or being parked but there is also a risk to running the engine. Gasoline under pressure, sparking ignition systems, hot exhaust parts, etc. You have to wiegh the risks versus benefit. Most RV's don't even provide a 12 volt option for the fridge. The larger ones just need too much power. Their are safeties. If the flame goes out, the gas turns off. The later units use a "re-igniter" to provide instant re strike. Just having the propane present is a hazard. The risk is probably reduced while driving as any leakage will be dissipated.

As for the leveling requirement, that has nothing to do with propane operation. When parked, the fridge needs to be fairly level regardless of power source. This is due to the refrigeration system relying on gravity as part of the process.

Although it is difficult to measure, 12 volt operation is not free. You do need to burn more gasoline to produce that power. Yes, the torque required to turn the alternator is related to the current being produced. As the load gets near the maximum capacity of the alternator, the electrical efficiency gets down near 50%. Add that to the 22% efficiency of the engine and the propane quickly becomes a cheaper option.

I am not saying the safety issue should be ignored. Propane is hazardous doe to its extremely wide range of flammability and the fact that the liquid is stored under pressure. This is why it is regulated as it is. The main thing is to make sure that the propane system is sound and the safeties of the appliances are working.

Dennis