Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:07:21 +0000
From:         Pam McIntosh <p_d_mcintosh@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Coolant loss in expansion tank but not fill tank

Sorry this is so long but it all seems relavant to a 'layperson'

A few weeks ago, upon starting the van at about minus 10 Celcius it sounded rough. I saw coolant spewing onto the ground (and gas I think from smell) from around engine area - no one spot - kind of all around the bottom where the oil drain plug sits. I turned van off. The coolant level in overflow/recovery/refill tank was in normal position (I didn't think to check the expansion tank) Oil (15-40) was normal. There was some sign of wetness looking into engine compartment from inside. What was likely to have happened - some seal / gasket shrunk in cold?

I restarted the van and as it didn't even drip I drove it. The red light started blinking when the van got up to normal operating temperature (at LED) and stayed blinking for the duration of the trip. The radiator fan came on as normal (only when lot of slow driving, stop & go etc) The temperature did not go above normal (on 100km highway drive or around the city). The overflow tank did not go down.

Another cold day the same thing happened. Then, on a warmer day it didn't spew coolant but red light still blinked when got to operating temperature.

I finally consulted the archives and, as a result, checked expansion tank - it was low. The overflow tank was still at normal position. I didn't see any crack in expansion tank or sensor and it wasn't dripping from there). I saw some bubbles on the tank walls. Still no signs of drips on the pavement.

I filled the expansion tank right to the very brim of the neck, (it took about a liter) recapped it. When I turned the van on, the level in the expansion tank went down again. I could see bubbles coming into the tank. I turned it off, the level came up a bit but not to the brim so I refilled tank to the brim of the neck then went for a ride.

The light did't come on. Temperature was normal. The fan came on as normal. The level in the expansion tank again dropped. The level in overflow tank didn't change. I filled the overflow tank to maximum level when cold - is this correct or should it be at maximum level when hot?

Again reading through the archives I thought maybe the problem would be the expansion tank cap so I got a new one - it didn't help. I still loose coolant from expansion tank but the fill tank level stays constant. I have gone through this proceedure (keep filling expansion tank) a few times now. I'm sure I have air in system - but where is the coolant going? Oil looks OK but then I'm no mechanic.

I can't see any drips on the pavement. Does it leak out of the engine somewhere just when driving and evaporate? What is likely the problem do you think? What should I be asking a garage (when I find one) to do or look for? Should I bother paying to have it bled if there is likely something else wrong?

I do have a rear heater that leaks when the heater is off only - yes off - not on. The heater has been on for about a year and not leaking (-see separate posting "' 91 rear heater leak only when heater 'off' "). I have read in archives that air can get into system from rear heater but wonder if this is the problem but think it is likely from what happened in the cold?

Thanks for any advise - I feel bad that I get so much info form Vanagon List but can not offer anything

_________________________________________________________________ Get Hotmail, News, Sport and Entertainment from MSN on your mobile. http://www.msn.txt4content.com/