Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:11:16 -0400
From:         BJ Feddish <bfeddish@NETREACH.NET>
Subject:      Re: tools needed to: (?) fix the rust, or find a new body?
Comments: cc: vanagon@frontleftspeakerposse.com

Keep in mind that I am absolutely no expert in body repair, I'm sure allot of others can chime in as to how to do this.

It's really hard to tell how far the rust has penetrated under those window seals from the photos. If the lip is all rusted out I would assume that would need to be fixed by putting new metal in there. I have no idea how that is done for windows. If it is all just surface rust you can probably just pull the rubber out, take out the window and sand/grind and treat the rust. Putting the windows back in can be a pain (I've done 1 before) but it can be done and also I believe a glass place can put them back relatively inexpensively.

As for the rust coming back, 10 years might be a little optimistic but then again this is the first time I've used that POR-15 stuff. My rust came back after about 5 years. This is also the first time I took out the camping gear to get behind the rust for the drivers side seam though. My van also used to sit outside 24/7 under a bunch of trees. It's now garage kept as of this spring.

Hmmmm. Tools. Well if you were going to replace metal I have no idea what you'd need as I've never welded and don't plan on it. For fixing rust though I use a wire brush, a wire brush for the drill, a Dremel grinder, chisels, hammer, belt sander, orbital sander, sandpaper, and a good respirator. I use fiberglass mat and resin for holes and finish with Bondo Glass (hard to work with but stronger than regular Bondo) and spot glaze. The fiberglass resin is really strong, so strong that it was a real pain to get the previous work off the van for this time around since I was fixing the seam rust from behind. It all had to be chiseled off in pieces.

$400 a window? Is fixing rust that expensive these days or were they going to cut your old window frames out and weld new ones in?

Bryan