Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:04:34 +1000
From:   Stephen Overmyer <S.OVERMYER@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:   RE :(NVC) New Zealand car question

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:39:07 -0800 From: Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET> Subject: (NVC) New Zealand car question

My apologies for going off Vanagon for a moment but my 20yr old son escaped from Alaska to Victoria University in Wellington New Zealand this winter and has asked me for advice on acquiring a used car while there. As I understand it from him and others, used cars in New Zealand are abundant and cheap. If anyone has knowledge of the brands/models that are available with proven reliability records please advise. He is currently considering Toyota Starlets which I am not familiar with but as they are Toyotas expect that one that has been reasonably maintained should be reliable. TIA Mark in AK - wishing I was 20 and off in New Zealand at school

Hi Mark,

I'm not in New Zealand, but being in Australia, just across the Tasman Sea, I am as close as I want to be...;-) I wasn't under the impression used cars in NZ were particularly cheap...they certainly never used to be but I am ready to stand corrected on that one as the previous high import duties on cars into NZ may not be what they were...in fact it is starting to ring a bell that it has changed...

FYI, the Toyota Starlet is a small 2 door/4 seater shopping cart of about 1200cc.Probably a good thing for your son to consider in NZ as fuel is not nearly as cheap as you or your son are no doubt used to. They used to sell the Starlet in Oz too but they are an older model now however....NZ does some odd things (and not just with cars ;) and it is possible that the model was imported there for longer than where I am.

Your assumption that a maintained one should be reliable is sound but as with most small cars (with the notable exception of the Beetle) they are not known for any exceptional longevity. The ones I still see on the roads tend to be a bit shabby and appear smoky due to worn compression rings or valve guides. But that doesn't mean they won't hang in there for a while longer yet if you keep the oil up to it. What they do lack is any shred of character or "fahvengnugen" but if a small whitegoods appliance is what is required, the Starlet probably fits the bill as well as any other buzz box.

There are a number of other Japanese cars imported to NZ, all boring but essentially reliable so I doubt your son will be faced with a plethora of unfamiliar brands. Fords are imported there from Australia and small models around 1300cc to 1600cc are called the Ford Laser. Quality and longevity is as with all Fords....so buyer beware ;-) The GM product imported from Aus is under the name Holden. Small ones would have names like the Barina (a re-badged Suzuki Swift) or the Astra...previously a re-badged Japanese something-or-other and more recently a re-badged Opel. Also a Holden model named the Gemini (1600cc) might be available. They are a re-badged Isuzu and whilst nothing flash, do seem to last....given the model has not been produced for some years.

I am fairly sure the Hyundai Excel would be available there and generally command minimal resale value....mainly because the paint soon looks crappy and the vehicle generally shabby but they still seem to go. They are popular here in Oz....goodness knows why but again, would probably suit your son's criteria of a small (reasonably) reliable car.... Other Korean small car brands he may come across in NZ would be the Daewoo and the Kia. Pretty damn ordinary conveyances but again would do for a limited time. Cheaper to buy but also lacking in any decent resale value....

That's about all I can think of for now....

Cheers, Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '00 Transporter Double Cab '03 Transporter Double Cab (work truck) '78 Land Rover Series 3 109 soft top ute (ex-Aust.Army) '07 Passat Variant TDI (on order from the Fatherland....hopefully here in June)